We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving through the the highlands

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
driving through the the highlands

My husband and I are planning to spend some time in Edinburgh this Spring. However, we'd like to take a two-day mini-vacation through some of the southern highlands, spending one night in another town. Any ideas for itineraries (realizing that we will only have two days to capture some of the beauty of the region), especially those that take us to quaint areas with interesting history?

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving through the the highlands

Day 1 Stirling, Crianlarich, Kings House Hotel (mind the midges) 100 miles, or 150 through Perth & Crieff.

Day 2 down Glencoe, site of the famous massacre, Fort William, Pitlochry, Perth about 150 miles.

That's quite a lot of driving, expect to average 30 per hour in case you get stuck behind a truck. So check my figures against a map and your own preferences.

Erdnburgh
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: driving through the the highlands

I suggest stopping overnight at Pitlochry - yes it is a 101% tourist village but there are some very good bed and breakfasts there, PLUS The Pitlochry Festival Theatre is a great way to have an evening out.

I see someone has suggested the trip to Glencoe and yes that is a splendid area. You might be best to think of basing yourself for two nights somewhere and touring from there daily. Scotland looks tiny but it takes quite a while to get anywhere, because of the mountains and so much to see.

In Edinburgh try:

www.edinburghapartment.com - you your partner and their staff.

Heavenly

Pat Madrid

end