We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London - Edinburgh with a Stop in...Derby?

Florence, Alabama...
1 post
Save Topic
London - Edinburgh with a Stop in...Derby?

During the first week in August I would like to travel to London and Edinburgh with a stop in the Derby area to do a bit of genealogical research. Unfortunately, no one can tell me the best way to travel between places. As I see it my options are:

1. Fly/take the train from London to Edinburgh, and day trip to Derby/Bakewell from there (via train).

2. Take the train from London to Edinburgh, stopping on the way in Derby.

Am I missing an option?

Is a day trip from Edinburgh to Darby actually a multi-day trip?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,164 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London - Edinburgh with a Stop in...Derby?

Trains between London and Edinburgh don't stop in Derby. It would be 6-7 hours on the train plus however long you spend in Derby. Derby also has nowhere to store luggage

London to Derby is around 2 hours

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,164 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London - Edinburgh with a Stop in...Derby?

I'd also point out that Bakewell isn't close to Derby - it's closer to Chesterfield and Sheffield

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London - Edinburgh with a Stop in...Derby?

Your final question gets to the heart of the matter: Edinburgh to Derby IS actually a multi-day trip. Starting in Edinburgh, the only reasonable way to do this is travel the day before you want to do the research. It's not an easy route by car, train or plane.

Since you need to do London as well, I'd simply do your London to Edinburgh travel as straight returns, by whatever mode of travel.

Then do the day in Derby piece as a day-trip from London.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London - Edinburgh with a Stop in...Derby?

I have actually driven from Edinburgh to London via Derbyshire (a village 10 miles outside Derby where I have family). The trip took the whole day and we didn't have time for anything other than comfort breaks along the way and a quick cup of tea in Derbyshire.

Although Londoners tend to think of Derby as being in "the North", it's really not that far outside London. The suggestion to make Derby a day trip from London and then travel to Edinburgh separately is really the only sensible one. There is a direct train to Derby (on Crosscountry trains) but it takes over four hours in each direction as opposed to 2 hours' travel from London to Derby on a fast train.

Note that there is no rail station in Bakewell. There are buses from Derby, but they are not particularly frequent (hourly at best).

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London - Edinburgh with a Stop in...Derby?

Derby isn't far from the M1 motorway hence not to difficult to get to, if driving a car.

The East coast trains run a good deal futher East, via Grantham; the west coast trains a good deal further west, via Crewe; so much less handy if travelling by train.

There is a service from Derby to Crewe, and another from Crewe to Edinburgh, should you decide not to return to London. Marginally better than trying to get to either Grantham or Peterborough to pick up an East Coast train, and maybe a little faster than returning to London and then heading north - maybe.

Visit nationalrail.co.uk or thetrainline.com and plug in various combinations of these places, to see which best suit your plans.

6. Re: London - Edinburgh with a Stop in...Derby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 21, 2014