We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Edinburgh to Inverness to Glasgow

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Topic
Transport from Edinburgh to Inverness to Glasgow

My 7-yr old daughter and I are planning an extended stay in Scotland this Spring, and towards the end of our trip, my husband will be flying into Edinburgh to stay a couple of days, and then we plan to travel to Inverness for about 4-5 days. After that, we will be flying out of Glasgow. I am needing advice about the best mode(s) of transportation from Edinburgh to Inverness; getting around the Inverness area; and then travel from Inverness to Glasgow.

I would like to make the time as enjoyable as possible for all of us and keep travel stress to a minimum. What do you recommend--hire a car and drive ourselves; hire a private driver w/ car; take the train; or fly to/from Inverness? If we take the train, is there adequate public transit in Inverness and day tour options so that we are able to take in the sights without having to rent a car when we arrive? Any recommendations on private tours/drivers in Inverness that would be "family friendly"? Also, would appreciate your thoughts on hotels/guest houses to stay at either in Inverness or any small villages nearby w/ hotel/restautrant/shops within walking distance.

Many thanks for your advice in advance!!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Edinburgh to Inverness to Glasgow

I'd hire a car on leaving Edinburgh. With only 4 or 5 days you will see so much more.

I'd also consider swapping Aviemore for Inverness. With a 7 year old you might want child friendly activities and there are many of those in the Aviemore area. Do a search in the Aviemore forum for ideas

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,212 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Edinburgh to Inverness to Glasgow

Agree with the Goodwitch about Aviemore., Inverness is, in my opinion over hyped, I would not be able to spend more than two days there. In fact. I would stay in Edinburgh for 4-5 days as there is so much to see and do, including things for children. Then spend 2 days in Inverness, I think you will find it more than enough.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
241 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Edinburgh to Inverness to Glasgow

easiest way to travel to & from inverness is by train, but once you arrive in inverness you really need a car to maximise your time there. although driving on the opposite side of the road, driving should be fairly relaxed, not really any big roads up there & generally not that busy.

id recommend the duncraig villa guest house in inverness, would be good for couple with young child.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Edinburgh to Inverness to Glasgow

Thank you all so much for your travel advice! I will check out Aviemore as recommended.

all the best,

Connie

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Edinburgh to Inverness to Glasgow

I'd lean towards Aviemore over Inverness too.

Car is more flexible way to get to both - but if you dont want to drive i would consider the train http://www.scotrail.co.uk/ for all times and prices. Pleasant rail journey too..

Be aware that Aviemore is a MUCH smaller place than Inverness. However its really all about the scenery surrounding them that people go for. A day in either one is probably sufficient.

Edited: 9:38 pm, January 28, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
958 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Edinburgh to Inverness to Glasgow

I'd also recommend the train. By train or car the journey is very scenic, particularly north of Dunkeld. See www.scotrail.co.uk

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Edinburgh to Inverness to Glasgow

We are a couple in our mid 60s from Australia planning to visit the UK for six weeks. We are inexperienced travellers and want to stay for a week in each of the following: London, Cambridge or Oxford, Yorkshire,Ireland,Scotland and Wales. The questions we have are these:

When and where should we travel by car or train?

Is it better to stay in each place for a week and do day trips or travel and stay as we go for a night or two here and there? ( London accommodation will be an apartment)

How far in advance do we need to book accommodation? ( middle price range)

We would be most appreciative of any advice.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Edinburgh to Inverness to Glasgow

Hi Diana

I realise it's your first post, but you've hijacked Connie's thread.

It would be best to start your own.

Go to

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186216-i15-Unit…

and click on 'ask a question' . You can then start your own thread

9. Re: Transport from Edinburgh to Inverness to Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 05, 2014