We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh

Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
67 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh

I'm wondering if it's possible to hire a car or take a taxi from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh. We are landing in Glasgow but going directly to Edinburgh, and there will be 3 or 4 of us traveling together. I have taken the bus into Glasgow and then the train to Edinburgh before, but I'm wondering if a car hire or taxi would be cheaper since there are several in our party. Any advice on the best option and the cost?

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh

I guess a car will cost maybe £60 for one day, a company like Enterprise, Alamo, maybe a bit more if not returning it to the Airport. One of the big companies like Hertz? Probably nearer £100. But you have the car for the day ...

There are smaller cars, and cheaper deals but many such companies don't allow a different drop-off.

A taxi might be £20 or so to get into Glasgow in a standard black cab, therefore I'd say well over £100 for Airport direct to Edinburgh: guesswork. If you can find a company to pre-book, that might get the cost down. But you can;t be sure of landing times ... glasgowtaxis.co.uk/price-promise-menu.html

Travel time, Airport to Edinburgh? Just over an hour by car or taxi.

The bus/train ... 4 adults, bus followed by train, cost will be £24 + £50.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/

firstgroup.com/ukbus/…fares.php

Your cheapest option is bus only , Glasgow Shuttle 500 & Scottish Citylink 900, under £40 for four of you with group discount

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
The Scottish Cafe & Restaurant
The Scottish Cafe...
748 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,108 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh

There's a third off day return tickets with Groupsave Day for 3, 4 or 5 people. £8.32 each between GLQ and EDB. Only valid off-peak. You don't need to use the return coupon.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,945 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh

Alamo have an airport connect product

alamo.co.uk/Hotdeals/…aluk_airportconnect

You pick up at GLA and can drop off 24 hours later (or whenever you want) in Edinburgh. An intermediate sized car should be big enough for four plus bags as long as you are not carrying all your worldly possessions with you. That's gonna cost around £60 plus around £10 in fuel. You do get to keep the car for a day though but that might be a hindrance in Edinburgh if you don't have parking.

I would definitely look around for a local firm to take you rather than a cab from the rank.

Onward Travel taxis from the airport to Edinburgh central give a quote around £75

www.airporttaxis-uk.co.uk/Glasgow/index.htm…

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
67 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh

Many thanks for this helpful information and options. I'll check these out.

Level Contributor
26 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh

Best option would have been to book your flight into Edinburgh Airport, but

if it's not possible due the anomalies of Scottish Airports, request quotes

from Edinburgh private hire cabs for your transfer.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
The Scottish Cafe & Restaurant
The Scottish Cafe...
748 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh

My family was just in Edinburgh over Christmas. Flew in and out of Glasgow, arranged for a taxi from the same company going both ways and paid

US $ 289.37 total. There were three of us with three bags. If you look at some of the sights they will often lists price ranges for cars varying by passenger/bag capacity. Ours was for a van that could fit up to 6.

It was an easy ride of about an hour. I sat up front and had a great chat with the drivers.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
7. Re: Travel from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 21, 2014