We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriage Proposal Edinburgh

Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Marriage Proposal Edinburgh

Hi,

I know this is a bit soppy, but I'm looking for a bit of advice on where would be the best (most romantic!!) place to propose to my girlfriend in Edinburgh/Highlands. If i was to venture into the wilds of the highlands, can anyone recommend a suitable spot??

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriage Proposal Edinburgh

It depends a bit on how active you want to be! How about on a mountain top?

Depending on how strenuous you want to be that could be a biggish mountain (Ben Lomond is quite easy to get to) or a wee one: e.g. Ben A'an in the Trossachs isn't very high but has a real 'mountain' feel to it.

(or there is Arthur's Seat - a real hill in the middle of Edinburgh - and probably a bit handier for going on somewhere after to celebtrate...)

Mentioned in this post
Arthur's Seat
Arthur's Seat
16,928 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,871 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriage Proposal Edinburgh

How about going to edinburgh castle and proposing in St Margaret Chapel,very snall and intimate and you just might get it to yourselves for a short time.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriage Proposal Edinburgh

I thought Glen Nevis (where Ben Nevis is) was very attractive. At the far end is a walk which takes you up to a beautiful waterfall. That might be pretty good, but you'd have to be prepared for a hike (although I don't remember it being difficult).

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriage Proposal Edinburgh

A few of us answered littlevoice several days ago on this very subject. Must be something in the air. The topic is romantic places in edinburgh, its about six pages back but a good comprhensive list.

Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriage Proposal Edinburgh

Thanks all for your replies. Really appreciate the suggestions.

I'ld like to be able to get the words out so as beautiful as a top of a mountain may be, we won't make it up!!

Had a look at that other post about romantic places. Very interested in Tantallon Castle near Berwick. Seems like the ideal place on a sunny day. Anyone been there??

Like the other poster, I'ld like somewhere very quiet where we're alone preferably not too far from Edinburgh (might have to skip the highlands) so we'll have not too far to come back to celebrate or drown my sorrows!!

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Tantallon Castle
Tantallon Castle
730 Reviews
North Berwick, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriage Proposal Edinburgh

Yes I have been there, it is a Historic scotland Property. If you want to pop the question in a castle you should look at the site www.histic-scotland.gov.uk and look in the Edinburgh and Lothians section,there is lots of choice. If you want the most privacy, I would recommend Blackness Castle which is the most under-visited castle and has the most spectacular views of the bridges.

Mentioned in this post
The Edinburgh Lodge
The Edinburgh Lodge
239 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Blackness Castle
Blackness Castle
550 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,984 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriage Proposal Edinburgh

My vote is for Arthurs Seat - not too difficult a climb. Not too far from civilization - and yet .... a touch of wuthering heights! How about a wee romantic picnic too with a nicely chilled glass of something. That would do it for me!

Mentioned in this post
Arthur's Seat
Arthur's Seat
16,928 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriage Proposal Edinburgh

PurpleCeltic, I was thinking the same thing. There's something to be said for being on the top of a mountain (not too strenuous) right there in the city. Lots easier to dance the night away or throw yourself under a bus, too. :)

9. Re: Marriage Proposal Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:42 am, April 23, 2006
Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriage Proposal Edinburgh

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Didn't know where to go with this question so great to get such detailed suggestions.

Would Arthurs seat be nice and quiet?

Hiring a car for a day in Edinburgh so kind of swaying towards Tantallon Castle if the weather is good.

Only problem with asking this question on this forum is that there might be a queue of tripadvisor members at the suggested locations proposing to their girlfriends. Might have to setup a ticketing system!!

Will let ye know where, when and how it went after the big day (few weeks away yet).

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming

Mentioned in this post
Arthur's Seat
Arthur's Seat
16,928 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Tantallon Castle
Tantallon Castle
730 Reviews