We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to St Andrews

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
7 posts
Save Topic
Transportation to St Andrews

We will be joining a tour starting in Glascow but would like to fly in a couple of days early in order to see the Old Course at St. Andrew. We will not have a car. We would be traveling to St. Andrew on Sun. Would it be best to fly into Glascow or Edinburgh and what is the best form of transportation from each location?

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to St Andrews

I like Edinburgh because of the old town architecture and it is closer to St. Andrews. Glasgow is only about an hour away.

I am taking Rabbies' day tour to St. Andrews. I took a couple of their tours a few years ago and they still look like they are highly rated. http://www.rabbies.com/

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to St Andrews

I may have missed an option or two, but by public transport all these options involve at least one change of transport. Do you mean 'see' the Old course - you're not carrying clubs? Times are guesswork.

From Glasgow by bus: airport - Glasgow Buchanan Street (0h 30), then Glasgow - St Andrews. (2h 30) (3h total)

From Edinburgh by bus: airport - Ferrytoll 0h 20), Ferrytoll - St Andrews express (1h 30)

From Glasgow by bus/train: bus to Glasgow, then train to either Leuchars or Dundee, then a local bus. (2h 30)

From Edinburgh by bus/train: airport - Inverkeithing, train to Leuchars, local bus. (2h?)

Ferrytoll is a big car park and bus station at the North end of the Forth Bridge. All buses heading North from Edinburgh go to it.

The Edinburgh bus option involves the least fuss and is the fastest by a small margin. And Edinburgh's more convenient than Glasgow.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to St Andrews

Are you planning to stay in St Andrews overnight? I would say that it is easier to get to St Andrews from Edinburgh if you are planning a day trip. Edinburgh to Glasgow is less than an hour on a train from city centre to city centre.

I think you need to define you plans a little more.

Boston...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to St Andrews

it looks like we would fly into Edinburgh. Aer Lingus flight arrives 8 am.

Then take train to St. Andrew, stay Sun night and then return to Glascow on Mon. Sounds as though we would go back to Edinburgh to Glascow. How reliable are the trains? Is it worth the extra travel to see the Old Course?

My husband just turned 70 and has been playing golf since he was 10. unfortunately it's not included on this tour, but we are so close I hate for him to miss seeing it.

We are in good shape physically but it's a long trip over. Our tour starts on Tues so want to be back in Glascow by Mon. Night.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation to St Andrews

Trains are pretty reliable I'd say. You can't take the train to St Andrews but you can get it to Leuchars which is nearby. The buses to St Andrews meet the trains so it is not difficult. As your husband is a golfer I'd say its worth it. People come from all over the world to play a single round and as you will be so close it would be a shame to miss it. Apart from golf, St Andrews is a nice small town to wander around.

Boston...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation to St Andrews

Perhaps we should just fly into Glascow on Sun am as originally planned, relax and then take the bus to St Andrews on Mon and be back in Glascow Mon night ready to start our tour on Tues. Does that make sense?

simpsonville,sc
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation to St Andrews

Don't mean to be rude but the city in Scotland is Glasgow not glascow.

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation to St Andrews

Fran,

I can't speak to the transportation issue, I've hired a car when I've been to St. Andrews. However, if you can work out the transportation, I recommend you try to get to St. Andrews on Sunday. The reason, golf isn't played on the Old Course on Sunday, so you'll be free to walk on the course as much as you like. I know for me the experience of seeing the Old Course was well worth any trouble it took to get there. The Links Trust offers guided walks of the Old Course, including a 3-hour tour on Sundays in July and August, which might interest you:

standrews.org.uk/About-Us/Guided-Walks-on-th…

The town itself is small and friendly, easy to walk from one end to the other, with lots of options for your overnight stay, from B&Bs to luxury hotels, and dining options from simple pub food to fine dining.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation to St Andrews

You will surely want to spend some time relaxing in congenial surroundings after your flight. In all honesty, and especially on account of your husband's golfing interest, I'm sure you will enjoy doing that in St Andrews more than in Glasgow. As Dave and others have said, it's a relaxing sort of place for anyone.

The transfer to St Andrews from Edinburgh airport is definitely easier than from Glasgow airport.

From Edinburgh airport, the train is less convenient than it might seem - you have to travel into the city, negotiate stairs or escalators at the station, and then do much the same in reverse at the Leuchars-St Andrews end. The bus involves one change at Ferrytoll, and you are likely to get some help with your bags from the drivers. The two options both take about two hours.

As you are taking a cruise, I expect you have quite a bit of luggage. If so, or if you simply want an easy, comfortable journey, you might consider booking a car transfer from Edinburgh to St Andrews. This will cost upwards of £80, but for that you will be greeted at the airport, assisted with your bags and driven directly to your hotel in St Andrews in around an hour. Several taxi firms in St Andrews offer this service (as do firms such as Onward Travel working out of Edinburgh Airport, although I see OT's price is £120).

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation to St Andrews

John's suggestion of using a car transfer direct from the airport to St. Andrews may be a good choice for you. I'll recommend a few potential services based only on second-hand information. Last year we stayed at the Burness House, a 5 bedroom guesthouse in St. Andrews, which I can highly recommend if you're interested in B&B style lodging. On their website, Burness House recommends a few car services. I haven't used any of them, but because I trust Hazel and Laurie at Burness House, I suggest you check out the car services here:

http://www.burnesshouse.com/location.html

Good luck