We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking with elderly parents

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
walking with elderly parents

Hello. I am renting an apartment for 3 nights in mid-April with my husband and his parents. His parents are in their 60s, and though able, don't like to walk long distances (20-30 minutes max at a time). We are staying in an area called the Cowgate on Bell's Wynd in Old Town. Are the major sites within walking distance? Is it a lot of uphill or uneven streets? TIA.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh Old Town
Edinburgh Old Town
12,621 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking with elderly parents

Well edinburgh is a hilly city as its built on different levels. There are plenty of cafes and things about though for you to sit down in and you will be near a lot of the sites. Its not a huge city but they may struggle some of the time. I would really recommend a bus tour from waverly bridge. I took my gran and it was great. The guides are good (on the green buses!) and your ticket is valid for 24 hours so you can hop on and off whenever you want at all the major sites.

enjoy your stay!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,308 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking with elderly parents

Although Edinburgh has some steep streets, cobbles etc, the Cowgate is very central to see the sights of the Old Town. If you take your time and pae yourselves I'm sure you'll be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh Old Town
Edinburgh Old Town
12,621 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking with elderly parents

Ianoneus,

Thank you for making me feel ancient. When I saw the title I assumed you were referring to people in their 80s or 90s. I'm not that far short of 60 and certainly don't think of myself as 'elderly' :-(

Back to your question - if I can remember what it was at my great age :-) Edinburgh is a particularly hilly city but the major sites are in a fairly small area. I'm sure they will be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking with elderly parents

The city centre is built on slopes the main one being the Royal Mile which slopes down from Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood Palace and many of the major attractions / places of interest are in and around this area. The Cowgate is in a trough between the Royal Mile (to the north) and Chamber Street (to the South) so you wil have a slight incline as you leave your accommodation to reach either of these locations. It is fairly level walking from the Cowgate to the likes of the Grassmarket or to Dynamic Earth and Holyrood Palace. As mentioned previously if you take your time there is no great problem.

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Mile Tavern
The Royal Mile Tavern
1,080 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh Castle
Edinburgh Castle
39,690 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Holyrood Park
Holyrood Park
2,319 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Grassmarket
Grassmarket
1,602 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Dynamic Earth
Dynamic Earth
2,143 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking with elderly parents

The main thing is sensible footwear - padded soles and springy cushions Hush puppies or similar, the reason being that there is a lot of cobbles and for some reason this seems to be detrimental to the knees particularly when going downhill, the cowgate is easy and you hardly have to walk at all. The good thing is there are plenty of rest stops to be had.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking with elderly parents

hey Keitht, sorry about that. Actually, my husband doesn't think of his parents at elderly either, it's just always been odd to me because they're so much older than my parents. Everyone in my family popped out kids between 18-22 years old, so my grandparents are closer to his parents age. And grandparents are always old, right? :)

Thank you everyone for the great advice; we are looking forward to our trip!