We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Military Tattoo 2013.

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Military Tattoo 2013.

Hi, I realise I am looking along way in advance. What I would like to know is any accommodation suggestions, reasonably close to the Castle ie walking distance. Also as we are travelling from New Zealand this will be a once in a lifetime visit, should be purchase tickets ie Bruce or Wallace package to get good seats?

any suggestions and thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Chris and Marty

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,467 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Military Tattoo 2013.

Most hotels in central Edinburgh are in walking distance of the castle - what you have to realise is that the Tattoo is one of the SMALLER events in Edinburgh in August and the place is heaving. So whilst a place 5 minutes walk from the castle may sound wonderful you'd have to take into account that at 3:00am shows will be chucking out and that pubs will still be open.

Personally I'd go for somewhere like the Apex Waterloo Place which has the big advantages of being 10 minutes from Waverley Station (where the trains and airport buses stop) but in a quieter backwater for those times when you just have to have peace and calm. It's also near to the easiest way to get to the Royal Mile without mountaineering equipment..

Book early - September 2012 isn't too early, Tattoo tickets generally become available in December and forget about sleeping until you are on the flight home

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Festival_Fringe

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_International_…

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_International_…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Art_Festival

As for Tattoo seats - whilst the seating has improved I'd book in the stand facing the castle (the prices will show which are the best seats.)

Edited: 2:23 am, April 09, 2012
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
13,841 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Military Tattoo 2013.

Would recommend the Knight Residence, it's at the back of the Castle so easy to walk it and handy for all the other things you might like to see. It's just 5 minuted walk to the main shopping area and Prince Street Gardens. We always ask for a high room at the back, it's very peaceful and quiet as the back is just a car park. Has the advantage if you hire a car it's one of the few places in the centre that has secure parking and it's only £6.00 per day.

Edited: 3:14 am, April 09, 2012
Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Military Tattoo 2013.

You don't have to book a package to get good seats. I booked my tickets in Dec 2011 as soon as it went on sale Online.

They say there are no bad seats but people recommend seats facing the Castle and that is what I bought.

Tickets are being sent out now. I await mine.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Military Tattoo 2013.

Hello Chris and Marty

We are coming from Australia for the 2013 Tattoo and are of course very excited. Just talking about it last night and thought id do a quick search and found your post.

Thank you to those that post suggestions and thoughts, they are most welcomed.

Robyn, Melbourne

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
700 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Military Tattoo 2013.

Chris, Marty & Robyn, I am glad to know I am not the only one planning so much ahead for the once-in-a-lifetime Tattoo experience in 2013! Good luck to all of us with our planning!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Military Tattoo 2013.

How exciting, we will be there later in the schedule - i need to be in Melbourne for August 17th 2013. Wouldn't it be funny to meet up if we were all there together. "The Early Birds Club"

Robyn

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Military Tattoo 2013.

Marty's 60th birthday is on 11 August so we hoping to be there about that time.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Military Tattoo 2013.

I got my tickets in the mail yesterday.

On 1st December tickets go on sale online to the general public.

August is a busy time in Edinburgh so book early. You can do all bookings on your own Online. I am in the Caribbean and did everything Online; airline tickets, tours, hotel etc This is my first trip to the UK.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Military Tattoo 2013.

Hope you all have a great time, so nice to see people excited about visiting!

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Military Tattoo 2013.

Thanks jenmac! :)