We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which station for train over Firth of Forth Bridge...

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
340 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Which station for train over Firth of Forth Bridge...

Would like to take the train over Firth of Forth Bridge. Can we get the train at Waverley Station?

Thanks in advance...

Carol in South Carolina, USA

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which station for train over Firth of Forth Bridge...

You could also take the boat tour which lasts about 1 1/2 hours and sails right under the bridge.

www.maidoftheforth.co.uk

www.forthtours.com

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which station for train over Firth of Forth Bridge...

Thank you for the instructions. So I know that the return ticket to buy from Waverley is to Dalmeny. I may do it several times for only travelling on that bridge. As to the view when it gets dark, I reckon it is the Queensferry village to watch from one of, if the most memorable sight in my life. Oh yes, we shall also visit England but not further down than York, as a newly retired executive it is for once me who decides where to go.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Which station for train over Firth of Forth Bridge...

hi ukkelo. The train to Dalmeny will bring you to South Queensferry from where you can see the bridge up close. To actually travel ACROSS the bridge you need to go to NORTH Queensferry station. scotrail.co.uk/travelinfo/station/nqu.html

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Which station for train over Firth of Forth Bridge...

Thank you for the advice. We did it a few times but it was June only. Is the bridge lighted in darker seasons?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Which station for train over Firth of Forth Bridge...

It sure is.

1st pic here

http://www.seduced-by-light.co.uk/light-painting-night/#!lightbox[set_2]/0/

Edited: 7:58 am, September 21, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Which station for train over Firth of Forth Bridge...

Thank you, EmbraChap for the picture. This bridge is the stuff my dreams are made of. It is awesome enough in daylight travelling over and under of it but this warrants another trip to Edinburgh, next time in late, instead in early summer.

I have visited most of the significant cities in the world and usually one visit has been enough. This is not the case with Edinburgh and Scotland in general. Now that I am retired, I shall take the high road at least once again.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Which station for train over Firth of Forth Bridge...

Hi ukkelo, on your next visit I can recommend, as 3 nations family says, a visit to the Falkirk Wheel. We used to live near this and it a unique and impressive piece of modern engineering well worth seeing and experiencing. It is also accessible from Waverley Station to Falkirk then taxi or bus a short distance

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Which station for train over Firth of Forth Bridge...

I learned in Edinburgh museums that everything worthwhile was invented by a Scotch. I understand that staying modest gets harder with Andy Murray winning the US open.

Instead of engineering miracles my next visit to Scotland is to castles to take my breath really away again.

19. Re: Which station for train over Firth of Forth Bridge...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 23, 2013