We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Journeying from Edinburgh to Oban

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Topic
Journeying from Edinburgh to Oban

We are planning to spend two nights on the Isle of Mull. However, I have been reading up on the journey from Edinburgh to Oban and would like some opinions? Are the following sites "worth" our precious time or should we move more quickly on to Oban and then Mull?

Inverary Castle

Auchindrain Mueseum

Loch Awe

Kilchurn Castle

Dunstaffnage Castle

Also, we are not planning to visit the Isles of Jura, Islay, Coll, and Tiree...partly due to time constraints and partly to save some money for ferry charges as we will have our car. Does anyone feel that we MUST see any of the Isles we have chosen to miss?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Journeying from Edinburgh to Oban

LWolfe ~> I will leave the getting around Scotland to the experts; however, let me assure you that the routes are fairly easy. Have you checked Michelin trip planner. Here is their site.

viamichelin.com/viamichelin/…MaHomePage.htm

Your friends may like a piece of Campbell touristy gift item straight from the Castle wich is the head quarters of the Clan Campbell. It's not like you have to spend a lot of time there. Many of the places you've mentioned are not large and it will be easy to locate what you've mentioned.

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Journeying from Edinburgh to Oban

Thanks for the helpful site...will check it out.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Journeying from Edinburgh to Oban

My wife and I drove from Oban to Stirling this winter, stopping along the way to visit the Inverary Jail, Loch Awe, and the Rest and Be Thankful scenic overlook (which is beautiful, but be sure to see the Butterfiled Bridge stop just West of the pass, and the large waterfalls between the two) Since Edinburgh is only 40 minutes farther, I'd say with the additional daylight you'll have, you can easily make the drive in one day, even with a couple stops. But once you're in Oban, you might as well keep going to Mull if you can catch the last ferry. Oban is quite boring after you've looked up to Mc Caig's tower and walked along the harbor for a few minutes. If you do stay in Oban, there are some great restruants on the north pier. If you've already had your share of haggis, then the Italian restruant is very reasonable, and very good.

We did a day trip to Iona via the CalMac ferry. We left our car in Oban, but wouldn't have had enough daylight to do any sidetracks even if we had brought it. This time of year, I'd go to Mull/Iona and take the car so you can stop and bask in the beauty of the Isle. We saw two wild deer, some birds of prey (looked similar to a red tailed hawk), and a seal. Iona was also quite nice, we enjoyed around 4 hours at the abby. You can also walk along the beaches and crystal clear water, or across the island to soak more of it in. Those are the only two islands we've been to in Scotland, so I don't know how it compares to the other isles.

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Journeying from Edinburgh to Oban

Hi DanZulu. Thanks for all the helpful hints and the beautiful descriptions. It makes me want to be there now.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Journeying from Edinburgh to Oban

Dan ~> Where exactly is Rest and Be Thankful?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Journeying from Edinburgh to Oban

I can't remember which road Rest and Be Thankful is on, but on a map it should be the main two lane that runs generally from Oban to Inverary. I'll ask my wife since she was our navigator for the trip!

And I think the name of the bridge is Butterfield. It's a stone bridge built over a nice babbling brook along the road. There is a nice big dirt parking lot nearby where you (and truckers) can part while you walk around. And further upstream from the bridge is where the big waterfalls are. As you're driving up towards the Rest and Be Thankful (South) the waterfalls are on the right. The bridge is part of an old road the soldiers built, but Ican't remember if it was the Jacobites or not. You can still see the old road down in the valley as you pass the overlook and head towards Inverary. Beautiful place, even in December. We both miss Scotland so much. Even when it rained, it would go for 30 minutes, then give us a few hours to enjoy the day, then rain for 30 minutes, and so on.

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Journeying from Edinburgh to Oban

Sounds like a lovely spot.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Journeying from Edinburgh to Oban

Thanks Dan that is helpful. Hopefully everything will be well marked out. We wouldn't want to miss these sights and the waterfall as well.

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Journeying from Edinburgh to Oban

Can someone please help? We will be staying just south of Oban for two nights in May. We are planning our journey from Edinburgh to Oban. I have a possible route mapped out with some activities, but want to know the feasiblity/workability/enjoyability of this plan. Feel free to add/substract/edit in any way.

Take M9 from Edinburgh and catch A811 in Stirling. We will not spend time in Stirling as we will have already spent part of a day there.

Catch A82 and drive past Loch Lomond and The Trossachs. I have heard such lovely things about the area. Are there any specific recommendations?

Catch A83 at Tarbet and travel down to Inverary to see town, castle, and jail. Also, we have heard of a great oyster bar in this area somewhere??? Can someone give us a specific location?

For our finish we could either continue South on A83 and travel back up to Oban hugging the coast OR we could go north on A19 and catch A85 all the way to Oban.

Any/all advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.