We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you have only 4 days in Scotland Aug 29-Sept2...what...

Atlanta
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
If you have only 4 days in Scotland Aug 29-Sept2...what...

Flying into Edinburgh Aug 29, would like to catch some of the festival activities so we're planning on staying somewhere between Glasgow and Edinburgh so would like some suggestions on that.

Will be flying out of Glasgow to Dublin.

Would it be a lot more expensive to rent a car in Edinburgh but return it in Glasgow?

So we'll spend Day one and part of day two in Edinburgh.

Please tell me where to spend day 3 & 4 based on the information above.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you have only 4 days in Scotland Aug 29-Sept2...what...

If you want to stay outside Edinburgh but travel in each day dont hire a car. Use the bus or train to travel into Edinburgh each day. Then get the train to Glasgow, hire a car and see the sights from there. A one way drop off will always cost you more.

Re Edinburgh, whats your budget and are you looking for a B&B or big hotel? Linlithgow might suit. Its on the fast train line between Glasgow and Edinburgh and has a fair bit of history on its doorstep. There are B&Bs and guest houses a short walk from the station.

If you want somewhere a bit more flash you could try Dalmahoy Country Club. Big place with its own golf course, Leisure Club & parking. Its on a direct bus route into Edinburgh.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: If you have only 4 days in Scotland Aug 29-Sept2...what...

We are on a moderate budget, B&B's are fine with us. I'm thinking you have a good idea with the Linlithgow area. What kind of transpot could we catch from the train to the B&B? From Glasgow, what would be your reccommendation of where to go and what to see? With the festival going on in Edinburgh, would you suggest we spend 2 full days in Edinburgh? We fly into Edinburgh Tuesday AM at 10:00. Take the train to the B&B, unload luggage, go back into Edinburgh for the remainder of the day. Edinburgh day 2, then suggestions for day 3 & 4. Or would you skip day 2 in Edinburgh and do something else. Want to see the highest highlights possible in 4 days.

Thanks

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you have only 4 days in Scotland Aug 29-Sept2...what...

If you decide to go for a B&B in Linlithgow I would take an airport taxi from the airport to Limlithgow with your luggage. Thereafter walk to the station to catch the Edinburgh train. You can easily fill 2 days in Edinburgh. Its got loads to see even without the festival. If it was me I'd then hire a car and head north and west to see a bit of the Scottish countryside. I think spending absolutely all of your time in cities would be a wasted opportunity.

linlithgow scotland
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you have only 4 days in Scotland Aug 29-Sept2...what...

Star & Garter hotel around 25 yards from station door (excellent)

www.starandgarterhotel.co.uk

Other B&Bs on high street, taxis available (call from station)

Bonsyde house hotel (a few minutes by taxi outside town)now also with self catering bungalows.

www.bonsydehouse.co.uk

Have a great trip.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If you have only 4 days in Scotland Aug 29-Sept2...what...

Excellent! Could you give me an idea of a route to take to the Highlands. Is there a tour book available or should I purchase Fodor's book on Scotland?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you have only 4 days in Scotland Aug 29-Sept2...what...

You need a good map and a good book. Try Amazon.com or similar. The best one IMHO is "Scotland the Best" by Peter Irvine.