We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A 1 1/2 day itinerary for Edinburgh?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Topic
A 1 1/2 day itinerary for Edinburgh?

Plese help me narrow down the list of essentials while in Edinburgh for a short time.

Edinburgh Castle

City-bus tour

National Gallery

Royal Museum

Georgian House

Charlotte Square

Princes St. Gardens

Scott Monument

Calton Hill

Linlithgow Palace

Huntly House

People's Story Museum

Portrait Gallery

Scotch Whisky Heritage Museum

St. Giles

John Knox House

Holyrood

National Portrait Gallery

Greyfriars

Royal Mile

Real Mary King's Close

Cannongate Kirk

Grassmarket

Thanks.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
397 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A 1 1/2 day itinerary for Edinburgh?

LWolfe,

Please see my trip report.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186525-i108-k4398…

We had a bit less than 48 hours in Edinburgh. I would take an open top bus tour and you'll at least ride past some of the sites. If you plan to visit the castle and stroll the Royal Mile (my top recommendation), that will be the better part of a day. For such limited time, I personally would forego the museums and opt for time just walking around and seeing the lovely architecture and parks.

Good luck!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A 1 1/2 day itinerary for Edinburgh?

Phew!!! What a list!

I think the last poster has the right idea. An open top bus tour would give you a feel for the layout of the city and let you see the main sights.

For a full day I would start at the Castle in the morning and then work your way down the Royal Mile, ending up at Holyrood Palace. By the time you have visited 3 or 4 of the attractions on the Royal Mile, done a bit of shopping and had morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea, you'll be ready for a lie down.

You could do a wee detour by turning off the Royal Mile right down George 4th Bridge and then immediately down Victoria Street to the Grassmarket.Back up Candlemaker Row to Greyfriars Church and onto George 4th Bridge, then back onto the Mile. That would take you by some interesting shops and buildings.

Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A 1 1/2 day itinerary for Edinburgh?

Hi All,

I have similar plan on Edinburgh like you (LWolfe) outlined.

Thegoodwitch,do you think I will be too poofed at the end of the day to slot in the Real Mary Kind Close tour? Maybe not as extensive as the plan by LWolfe. I just plop to the Castle, Camera Obscura, Scot Monument, maybe Royal museum and end it with the Holyrood place. That will be my version of the Royal mile.

By the way, can somebody inform me, is the Rose Chapel in the way to go to Glasgow? We are day tripping there on the next day.

Thanks,

Moozy

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A 1 1/2 day itinerary for Edinburgh?

Hi Moozy

I'm not sure if you mean Roslin Chapel. If so, its on the south side of Edinburgh. Not on the way to Glasgow really but quite easy to get to if you are travelling by car. Let me know where you are staying and I'll give you directions.

I think you could fit in an evening ghost tour or something similar if you're reasonably fit. You can rest when you get home!

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A 1 1/2 day itinerary for Edinburgh?

Thanks to lunarmodule and thegoodwitch for your advice. I feel confident that with both of your suggestions we are ready to plan.

Question: Do you all think that Glasgow is a must? I hear such mixed opinions. We like art, but are not excited about modern art. We like history. We are not interested in science so much and I know one of the main attractions there is a science museum of sorts. We simply cannot decide if we want to take a day trip from Edinburgh to Glasgow or not. Another option would be to use that time to venture off into the Borders???

Also, Linlithgow Palace...isn't that the birth place of Mary? Should we try to see it?

Thanks.

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A 1 1/2 day itinerary for Edinburgh?

Please offer thoughts:

Around noon on the first day, we will be ready to drop our bags and take the bus tour.

We may try to stroll the National Gallery after that if we feel up to it. Then dinner, any suggestions? and take in a ghost tour.

Day 2 in Edinburgh:

Basically, use the itinerary fromt thegoodwitch...castle to Holyrood with jaunts to Grassmarket/Candlemakers/Greyfriars and back on to the Mile for sites of our choice on the way to Holyrood. Any lunch suggestions??

Question: After Holyrood, would there be time for the Scott Monument and the lovely gardens there? Would this need to be bumped to the next morning? Also, how important is the Georgian House? Is it a must or not?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A 1 1/2 day itinerary for Edinburgh?

Hi LWolfe

my favourite restaurant in Edinburgh is on the Royal Mile, near the castle, next door to the Whiskey Centre. Its called the Witchery (and I have no connection to it). There are 2 dining rooms and if you can, try to eat in the Secret Garden. They do a 2 course lunch or an early supper for about 12 pounds.

http://www.thewitchery.com/

Princes Street Gardens is a short walk down from the Royal Mile and a very pleasant place to "people watch" on a nice day. We often buy sandwiches from one of the shops around Princes Street and eat in the Gardens.

If you only have a day and a half I dont know if you would manage to include Glasgow without feeling really rushed. Same goes for Linlithgow. You could get the train to Linlithgow from Waverley Station and walk the few hundred yards to the Palace. Linlithgow is a nice wee town but to be honest I don't know if you'd want to spend one of your precious days there. I've forgotten if you are going to have a car and what time of year you are coming. Can you remind me?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A 1 1/2 day itinerary for Edinburgh?

I think the previous posters have the right idea, I started with Edinburgh Castle (my #1 must see for Edinburgh) right when it opened and worked my way down the Royal Mile. Depending on how thoroughly you see the Castle you could easily spend 3 hours there, next stop by St. Giles, grab some lunch along the Royal Mile either at a pub or restaurant.

I only stayed at Holyrood Palace for about an hour, 90 minutes tops, they give you an audio guide to go through the Palace so you can go at your own pace. Last admission to Holyrood is 15:30 Nov-Mar, 17:00 April-Oct. If you find yourself with a little extra time, there are a few museums along the Mile you can poke into, my favorite was the Museum of Childhood.

If you find you want a spot of tea or hot chocolate along the way, stop by Plaisir du Chocolat, I think they were open until 6.

Should you still have any energy left, there are several ghost tours in the evening, I took one offered by Mercat.

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A 1 1/2 day itinerary for Edinburgh?

Thanks for the responses. We will be coming the end of May and leaving the 8th of June. We will have a car, even in Edinburgh, although we don't plan to use it until we depart. If you think we can come and not feel cheated by not seeing Glasgow we may choose to skip it.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A 1 1/2 day itinerary for Edinburgh?

At the end of May you will have daylight till really late so will see so much more than at this time of year. Good choice.

Regarding Glasgow, I think you could miss it with no regrets. If I had never been to Glasgow and could spend just one day there I'd probably visit the Burrell Collection but you will have museums in Edinburgh which you can get to so much more easily. I hope this doesnt offend the Glaswegians, but I think you have got plenty on your itinery as it is.