We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Days Only

CA, USA
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Topic
Two Days Only

My wife and I are coming from London to Scotland for two days only 24-26 March. We need a nice central place to stay (somewhat on a budget) and what we would or should fit in with such a short time frame. Should we stay in Edinburgh or jump over to Glasgow? Lodging and attractions suggestions...

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Loch Ness, Highlands, Glencoe...
2,040 Reviews
from $65.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
507 Reviews
from $345.10*
Highlands' Isle of Skye, Hogwarts...
171 Reviews
from $580.90*
Special Offer
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
111 Reviews
from $287.60*
$319.60
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Days Only

Hi

depends what you're looking for really!

There's some great conuntryside, and some lovley places up north, but that's obviously further away and harder to get to.

If it's between Edin and G'ow I would be tempted to say Edin and not because it's where I live! (I also love G'ow), but simply, with only 2 days and having been to London, Edin is less of a 'city' than Glasgow and might be a nice contrast. It's very pretty and has good transport links. If you wanted you could go to G'ow for the day. I guess Edinburgh is the more touristy option, but it depends very much on what you want to do!

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
CA, USA
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Days Only

We love castles, history and countryside. Any suggestion on a room?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Days Only

I'm heading to Edinburgh in a couple of days, someone recommended the Castle View Guest House, you can see reviews of it here on TA. Will let you know how it is when I return :-)

I also only have 2 days, there is more than enough in Edinburgh to keep me busy for 2 days!!!!

CA, USA
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Days Only

I take it that I do not have to make reservations too far inadvance then? My thought was that I was late already.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Days Only

You know, I'm not sure. And I was a little shocked at the rates for a double, I'm only paying L45 for a single, a double is L100!

You might give Travel Inn, Best Western and Ibis a look (lower cost options) or check www.laterooms.com I also found some decent deals on Expedia but I'm traveling in January....

CA, USA
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Two Days Only

I found Castle View is booked for all but a single. I will check out some the others you noted.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two Days Only

not really sure about hotels as I live there, but check out Ibis, Holiday Inn, the Point as people have mentioned and check the reviews on this site. A little further out of town (but still very easily accessible there are B&Bs and smaller hotels in Bruntsfield, Murrayfield and Polwarth that might be worth a look.

Sorry I cant be of more help but I hope you find somewhere.

And if you like castles etc then I would def go with Edinburgh over G'ow. For history in Edin there is the castle, the royal mile, holyrood palace, the new parliament, the grassmarket, museums, art galleries to name but a few. Arthur's seat is also worth a look if you fancy a more energetic walk as the views are good on a clear day, or you could head out to the Pentland hills.

St. Andrews and the other Fife coastal villages are also easily accesible (although less so by public transport. If youre interested in St. Andrews (lots of history and a castle!) you will need to get a train to Leuchars (4miles away) and then bus/cab as it doesnt have its own stn.

hope this is of some help and that you find a room!

Mentioned in this post
Holiday Inn Edinburgh
Holiday Inn Edinburgh
2,403 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK
CA, USA
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Two Days Only

After a bit of looking around I find we like the look and most of the reviews of The Channing. This is a good selection and how big a deal is it that it is outside of the city for seeing the sights by day and then returning at night?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two Days Only

Do you mean Channings Hotel if so it is a lovely place, and is within a ten minute walk of Princes St and the Castle

Good luck and have a great time

Mentioned in this post
Channings Hotel
Channings Hotel
1,332 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
CA, USA
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Two Days Only

Sorry yes that is it.