We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeper train and touring using Edinburgh as base

Kentucky
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Sleeper train and touring using Edinburgh as base

We will be in Scotland for a few days in late July with our 2 teenage boys.We fly into Manchester and are hoping to take the train to Scotland. I think we will make Edinburgh our base and would like ideas for day trips. We are possibly staying at Six Mary's Place but are concerned about the vegatarian food with our boys. From Edinburgh should we take set tours, hire a private guide or hire a car? Does the Sleeper Train to London run on Saturday night? Is that a reasonable way to travel to London and will we sleep at all? Thanks for any help and ideas you can provide.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeper train and touring using Edinburgh as base

Lextraveller: The train from Edinburgh to London takes around 4-1/2 hours, give or take a few minutes. I've only done it in daytime and sitting up but you can still be lulled to sleep by the rocking of the train.

As for day trips, I recommend Glasgow, the other large city in Scotland. It has excellent museums and lots of shops.

If you like castles, I would suggest visiting Stirling. And, one of my personal favorites is Dunottar, which is situated right on the coast, just outside of Stonehaven, which is accessible by train. You can either hike or take a taxi to the castle.

St. Andrews is famous for golf, but it also has castle and abbey ruins and is a delightful town to explore.

And, you might also like to visit Culross, which is a preserved small medieval town. You can take the train to Dunfermline and then catch a bus to Culross.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeper train and touring using Edinburgh as base

The best way to see Scotland is hire a car, but you have only a few days, I can understand you wanting to make Edinburgh your base, Glasgow is mainly shops if that is what you want to do, consider Stirling by train from Edinburgh.

It would be nice for you to see some of the scenery on the west coast.

there is a train that travels the west coast this would be a good idea, for a day trip to see some of Scotlands scenery.

tours will cost you for four people depends if you want to pay,

Reading/London UK
Level Contributor
955 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeper train and touring using Edinburgh as base

The sleeper train does not run on Saturday nights (or at least, it didn't in September when I used it).

I went to Edinburgh for the weekend and used the sleeper both journeys. A 2-berth cabin cost about £90 for the return journey, although discounts are sometimes available.

The amount of sleep had worried me, especially as I was going straight to work from the train on Monday morning, but I slept much better than I thought I would.

The sleeper will mean you miss out on seeing the world go by, but you waste less precious sight-seeing time.

If you're looking for vegetarian food, Edinburgh is fantastic. My weekend in September was with 18 veggie girlfriends and we ate til we burst!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeper train and touring using Edinburgh as base

Hi

Sounds a good trip.

Whatever you do about transport it is worth taking an open top bus tour as you can see a lot of the sights, stop off at the ones that appeal and get on the next bus. I tried this for the first time last year when I'd a Finnish friend visiting and was v. impressed.

Glasgow is an interesting day trip (easy by train - there are several every hour and it only takes 40 minutes). Good shopping, cultural things etc - www.seeglasgow.com gives some ideas.

Either St Andrews or Stirling would make good day trips. Also I'd urge you to get out and see the Highlands if you can. You don't have to go far afield - just north of Callendar, or up Loch Lomondside will give you an idea of the lovely countryside.

I've tried the sleeper a couple of times - not the best nights sleep I've had, but quite a nice experience to have done. (and the tea pots were very cute when they brought breakfast!)

Enjoy your trip.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeper train and touring using Edinburgh as base

Day trips are fun with Haggis Tours, they are located on the Royal Mile or you can find them on line. They do day trips and 3 to 4 day trips so worthwhile looking at them before booking Edinburgh Accommodation. They have also received numerous awards and are highly respected. They will appeal to your teenage sons as they attract a lot of young people. www.haggisadventures.com At South Queensferry you can book an adventure speedboat trip, train to dalmeny and contact www.seafari.co.uk to book. Whilst in edinburgh I recommend underground edinburgh tours mercattours.co.uk. The sleeper is good value and yes you will sleep but you will miss some fantastic scenery on the way up, particularly around the Northumberland Coastline. I believe that Six Mary's place is a social enterprise therefore has great ethical values (hence the vegetarian menus), I have also heard some great reports. It is nice to spend your tourist pounds somewhere that is benefitting the less advantaged so good for you, but don't worry I also believe that the quality is also very good. If you were not aware of this follow this link socialfirms.co.uk/index.php/Section81.html . Please note it received a Scottish Thistle Award, one of the highest accolades in Scottish Tourism given by the Tourism Industry. Happy to help with any other advice.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sleeper train and touring using Edinburgh as base

Well, Joana, you convinced me. We are going to stay 2 nights in Edinburgh and then hire a car and drive to the West Coast area. I think we will stay around Glencoe or Ardgour for 2 nights. We are going to fly to London out of Inverness. Any other suggestions? Joana, we are also heading to North Wales after London. If you have suggestions for there, see my posts in the North Wales forum. Thanks