We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfares?

down to earth
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Airfares?

I would like to ask some of you local guys if you can tell me whats the lowest price for the ticket bought at heathrow for BA (or some other company) for london-edinburgh (both roundtrip and one way) with taxes etc? please help..Im not sure if to buy tickets on-line or to buy them when I arrive at the ariport... thanks a lot!

Loch Ness, Highlands, Glencoe...
2,037 Reviews
from $65.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
507 Reviews
from $346.40*
Highlands' Isle of Skye, Hogwarts...
170 Reviews
from $583.00*
Special Offer
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
109 Reviews
from $288.60*
$320.70
UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfares?

I'd go with one of the Low Cost Operators (not BA) - the further in advance you can book the cheaper the seat.

easyJet: http://www.easyjet.co.uk/en/book/index.asp

For the middle of October they're doing seats at around £6.49 plus tax one way.

BMIbaby: http://www.bmibaby.com/bmibaby/en/index.aspx

For end of October they're doing seats from about the same cost and it says that including tax it's around £24

Remember with lowcost operators, check the luggage allowance because it will be LOW. Make sure you know which London airport they're going from because there are 5 London airports! Don't be late because they'll close boarding promptly. Treat them like catching a bus rather than a traditional airline and you'll be fine.

Mentioned in this post
October
October
658 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
67 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfares?

Agree with last post do not wait until you get to the airport as it will be very expensive...book well in advance to get the cheaper fares. As well as BMI and Easyjet you should also compare the fares on www.flyglobespan.com which fly from London Stansted to Glasgow.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
glasgow
Level Contributor
446 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfares?

easy jet only fly to luton not heathrow. the cheapest, from glasgow, i've paid is £30 going up to £200 with BA booking the day before travel.

UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfares?

I'd much rather fly from Luton - 40 minutes from Kings Cross on the train so about a similar trip time but it's a much smaller and easier airport to deal with. Heathrow is HUGE - too crowded, too far to walk to get wherever you're going - urgh! Aircraft end up sitting in the hold over the airport because it's so busy - so you might well have delays. Luton - small is beautiful!

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
down to earth
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfares?

well the thing is that I need (well want) to fly from heathrow, since I will be arriving to london from abroad, so changing airports is not a thing Id like to do... will lose much time, plus all the fuss and the money to get there, etc.... so thats why Im looking for the flight from heathrow and found a roundtrip ticket on BA for £64.20... so was trying to find out if that sounds like a good deal..

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfares?

Lana

£64.20 LHR-EDI return sounds fine to me.

Leaving it until nearer the date won't help; prices will certainly increase.

For ease and convenience I think your best bet is to book the BA flight.

Mentioned in this post
Turnhouse Airport
Turnhouse Airport
Edinburgh, UK
glasgow
Level Contributor
446 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfares?

sounds a good deal. i would book it now!

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfares?

I agree with Tailside - Luton airport is a really good option if the flight times and costs are OK. Get the Thameslink train from Kings Cross (or even easier from Farringdon as changing trains from the tube is far quicker). So long as you are not in the evening rush hour the Thameslink to Luton Airport Parkway (make sure you get off here and not Luton) is a breeze

Mentioned in this post
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
down to earth
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfares?

superdog... thanks for the advice, but in order to do so Id need to go from heathrow to kings cross.. which I find pretty tireing to say the least.. so Id 'have' to fly from heathrow... as I said I will be landing there and flying to edinburgh on the same day..

UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfares?

Lana - when I posted I didn't realise that you'd be at Heathrow already - going cross-town would be a real pain unless the costs from Heathrow are really expensive!

BMI baby from Heathrow sounds like the best shot currently.

Have a look at those links I posted - If you don't need to come back to Heathrow (if you're staying on in London and not flying straight out again) then it might be cheaper to get BMI baby outbound to Edinburgh and then one of the others back to a different London airport. All depends just how easy you want life as opposed to how little money you want to spend ;)

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK