We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Edinburgh to Inverness?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Edinburgh to Inverness?

We are planning our first trip to Scotland is September and cannot be more excited. We are planning on heading up to Inverness from Edinburgh and would like to know how long it takes by train and how often trains travel between the cities. Any help is appreciated.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness?

there are two trains a day from Edinburgh to Inverness

weekdays:

9.37am has a change at Stirling and takes 4hrs

11.35am is direct and takes 3.5hrs

saturdays:

11.35am and 1.35pm both direct 3.5hrs

sundays:

1.35pm direct 3.5hrs

3.35pm change at Perth 4hrs

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness?

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/

Check the Scotrail site for timetables.There are about 6 direct trains a day on weekdays.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness?

ack stupid scotrail site - kenko is right that there are more than 2 a day everyday, sorry about that (the way it shows trains available would have you believe there are only two - i did think this very light on and that i must have made a mistake but couldnt see the other train times!!)

but the journey times are correct 3.5 or 4hrs depending on direct or not

Minnesota
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness?

Thank you all for responding, the train it will be. We are a little pressed for time, planning on taking an early train out of Edinburgh, spending the afternoon at loch ness and the evening in Inverness pub crawling before heading back to Edinburgh the next morning. I know with so much to see in the Highlands that our decision to visit loch ness being the tourist trap it is may not popular with everyone, but we all grew up hearing so much about loch ness that my wife and I are drawn to go see it. What would you recommend we do once we arrive in Inverness?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness?

If you are going to Inverness by train then you probably need to visit Loch Ness by one of the tour companies. How had you been intending getting there?

There is a boat company that do cruises down to, and on, the Loch from quite close to central Inverness. They also have bus pick ups in the town. They have various itineraries that include simply staying on the boat, getting off for Urquhart Castle and/or visiting the Loch Ness Exhibition Centre.

I'd recommend booking something along those lines for your afternoon.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness?

Hootannys-Church st has live music nights.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness?

Advance fares will be available for the Edinburgh / Inverness route about 3 months prior to travel i.e. June in this case. Cost is just £10 single and availability is normally good (I've even been able to book these fares for peak periods). There are 2 train routes - via Falkirk Grahamston and via Ladybank. I'd recommend the latter as it's a scenic ride along the Forth and the Fife coast. The direct Scotrail services between Edinburgh and Inverness normally use the Ladybank route.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness?

Thank you all for your help. We should be good to go now.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness?

Jacobite Cruises runs various tours of Loch Ness, some of which go down the Caledonian Canal and call at Urquhart Castle, and the Monster exhinisition at Drumnadrochit. Public transport is available to Culloden Battlefield (and Clava Cairns is only a short walk further on). There's a good summary of tours available from Inverness here: scotland-inverness.co.uk/inverness-trips.htm

10. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:32 am, September 15, 2009