We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Heritage Pass vs Scotland Explorer Pass for 7 days

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
British Heritage Pass vs Scotland Explorer Pass for 7 days

Trying to decide which of these might be more beneficial. It looks like the Explorer pass (historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/…explorer.htm) is less expensive 28 GBP vs 44 for the British pass (britishheritagepass.com/Featured_Properties_…), but the British one says you get free entrance plus "jumping the line" at the attractions. Needless to say, with limited time to sightsee, that would be a bonus. On the Explorer pass site, I don't see where it says you get in free to the venues.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Heritage Pass vs Scotland Explorer Pass for 7 days

It really depends on whether or not you want to visit any National Trust for Scotland properties in addition to Historic Scotland places. If you want to spend most of your trip visiting properties, then the British Heritage Pass will offer great value and variety.

I don't think jumping the line is something you'll have much call for in Scotland. Its not often we come across historic properties with long queues to get in, but don't quote me, lol!

Mahomet, IL
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Heritage Pass vs Scotland Explorer Pass for 7 days

Does anyone know if the BritishHeritage pass must be used on consecutive days or can it be used on say 7 out of 10 days like the Explorer's pass. Thanks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Heritage Pass vs Scotland Explorer Pass for 7 days

The Great British Heritage Pass runs consecutively. That is, if you buy a 15 day pass, after 15 consecutive calendar days since the date you first used it, it expires. Even if you didn't use it every day during that time. The ticket takers at each attraction always check the date on the back of the card to make sure it is still valid.

That said, it is still a great deal if you are planning to see lots of the attractions that are on the card. They are all listed on the website you mentioned.

Georgia
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Heritage Pass vs Scotland Explorer Pass for 7 days

We just got back from a trip to northern England and Edinburgh. We bought a 7 day Overseas Visitor's British Heritage pass and used it to visit many castles and abbeys. I showed it when purchasing passes at Edinburgh Castle and we received a discount on our family pass even though I am not sure the Overseas pass applies in Scotland.

There were no lines except Edinburgh castle and that line only took about 10 minutes.

5. Re: British Heritage Pass vs Scotland Explorer Pass for 7 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 30, 2009