We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to eat in edinburgh?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to eat in edinburgh?

Hello everyone, thanks all for the ideas of what to buy in edinburgh. Here's me again need your advise, about food this time.

I will be stay in a B&B Kariba Guest House at 10 Granville Terrace, can anyone suggest if there are any good affordable restaurants nearby?

What are the must eat in Edinburgh? Haggis?

Also any affordable nice food i can try in downtown, i.e. Princess Street? or nearby Granville Terrace?

I indeed quite enjoy eating the English Scones, just wonder how much it usually costs at bakery shop.

Please advise if you have any idea. Thx again!

Chinesegirl ^^

Gods Country...
Level Contributor
763 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to eat in edinburgh?

Theres a number of pub/hotels in that area where the bar food is usually good and reasonable.

Scones 30-40pence - on nearby Slateford Road is Malones Bakery where you can get fresh scones / pastries / rolls around midnight - not to be missed

Must eats -

Haggis various varieties normal / veggie / spiced

Black pudding - just don't ask what it is just try it at breakfast with tomato sauce

Tattie scones - potato scones

Deep fried Mars Bars - hard to find but worth trying

All cholestoral city

Up market restuarants will do specials with highland game such as venison / rabbit or the local fish - but expect to pay more

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to eat in edinburgh?

I agree with sorobay,lots of pubs ,hotels and small resturants in the area.Inthe city center you should be able to get Haggis ,Tatties(potatos) and neeps (turnip). the chip shops do what is called a haggis Supper.it is a piece of haggis coated in batter ,deepfried and serve with chips .the traditional accompianment with this is salt and brown sauce , yuo eat it out of the paper it is all wrapped with, using your fingers ,messy and delicious.

you will get scones in all the bakeries and supermarkets,plain ,friut cheese varieties but if you are really lucky they may do my favourite,Treacle Scones. You should get a pack of 4 for about 1GBP.

there are lots of fast food places in Edinburgh and resturants of every nationality.

If you get a chance try salmon,smoked salmon,venison,Aberdeen Angus beef,Forfar bridies,any type of seafood especially scallops and prawns as well as local lamb and pork.

The hotel will probably give you a traditional Scottish breakfast.starts with porridge then a choice of any of the following.Sausages,bacon,black pudding,haggis pudding(if you are very lucky) potato scones,fried eggs,fried tomatos,beans and either toast or fried bread.

Enjoy!

London, UK
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to eat in edinburgh?

Memories of my childhood to make me homesick!

Smoked Fish - Kippers and Arbroath Smokies (haddock). You may get kippers as an option at breakfast.

Scotch broth soup, lentil soup, fish soup. There is also a great traditional soup made from chicken and leeks. I have tried to type the name into TripAdvisor but it says it is a profanity! What happened to the age of innocence? The name is Cuck-a-leekie soup but the first word is spelt with an 'o' not 'u' !!

Of course the other side of things is the sweets! Edinburgh Rock, tablet (vanilla butter), macaroons, fudge, butterscotch, Highland Toffee. Boiled sweets - Cinnamon, Brandy Balls, Soor Plooms, Aniseed Balls, Horehound Humbugs, Barley Sugar, Clove Rock! Does anyone know a traditional sweet shop in Edinburgh?

Scottish Shortbread and Black Bun fruitcake with a wee dram of Single Malt Whisky.

Scottish raspberries and brambles.

On the simpler side you must try the bread. Ask for a plain loaf. Also ask for well-fired rolls and get a bag of chips for a chip buttie.. Does someone in Edinburgh know a place to send ChineseGirl to?

Oatcakes and cheddar cheese.

Last but by no means least... Clootie Dumpling. Where is best place to buy this in Edinburgh? (I make my own!)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,372 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to eat in edinburgh?

shortbread ,blackbun and oatcakes are on sale in all the tourist shops and you can get them in nice gift packages.Look out for the Walkers brand ,this is made in Aberlour in the north of Scotland and is very good quality.There is an old fashioned sweetie shop in St. Marys street just off the royal mile and also one on London road at the junction of Easter road.You may get clottie dumpling in some of the gift shops,my mother( 79 tears old) makes superb clottie dumpling but that is a more traditional family thing than something that is sold.Plain bread and well-fired rolls will be available in any independant bakery,but you may have to go off the tourist trail a little bit to find them,also go early in the morning as fresh products are made overnight and when the bakeries run out htere is no more till the next day.

kippers and Arbroath smokies will be available from any fishmonger and look out for Cullin Skink a smoked fish soup which is very tasty.Baxters a food manufaturer from Fochebars in the north of Scotland have a shop in the Ocean Terminal mall and do a excellent range of tinned and bottled Scottish goodies. And remember Single malt Scotch Whisky is available in hundreds of shops all over Edinburgh. Don't ask me the best Whisky as i keep trying them I never quite find the very best but though it may take a lifetime or two I will keep tasting Whisky till I find the best!

Thank you Bortiuk for jogging my memory

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What to eat in edinburgh?

wow so many choices! thanks all for the suggestions, i will print out the replies and take it with me to the edinburgh trip. too bad i will just stay in edinburgh for 3 days only, i will have to feed myself all the time to try all the mentioned nice food!!

London, UK
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to eat in edinburgh?

Thanks UncleGus for mentioning the name Cullin Skink. I was racking my brain when I wrote fish soup!

Maybe you know a good butcher to buy the Clootie Dumpling. My mum lives in Rothesay and the great butcher McIntyre's butcher sells Clootie Dumpling by the slice.

ChineseGirl - you do not need to eat everything whilst in Edinburgh. Select the things from the list which you can take with you and eat everything else whilst in Scotland!!

Gods Country...
Level Contributor
763 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to eat in edinburgh?

Trouble is no one makes dumpling(real ones) like your Mum

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,372 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to eat in edinburgh?

a lot of butchers sell clootie dumpling by the slice.it is great fried for breakfast.Near where I live we have Findlay the butchers in Portobello High street who are world famous for their haggis,but all their butchery products are great,they even do venison sausages!

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to eat in edinburgh?

My mouth is watering and I am trying to diet.I'm up in Scotland next week so I might have a wee taste.Hope you enjoy Scotland chinese girl,as I hope to enjoy Hong Kong in November.

Flushing, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to eat in edinburgh?

Dear 'Chinesegirl',

I don't know if you have taken your trip already, but I can't belive all the 'natives' forgot to tell you not to miss trying the National Beverage of Scotland! (And no, it isn't Scotch or beer).

Please have yourself an ice cold "IRUN BREU" !! It is a most unusual and wonderful bottled drink, whose taste canna be compaired tae onything ye hiv tasted sae far. (See, even thinking aboot 't, jist gies me a bit o' a burr!) ;)