We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather Question

st paul
Level Contributor
108 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Weather Question

Hi- We will visit Edinburgh the first few days of April. What can we expect from the weather? We are from Minnesota so we are used to the cold, but if it'll be wet that will change the clothes we bring.

Thanks! Angela

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather Question

What exact days? On the 1st it will rain in the afternoon,(3pm to 417pm) but then be sunny for an hour before getting quite cool, the 2nd will be torrential rain for 2 hrs and 1 minute (1045 to 1246) and then brighten up, but turning to rain in the evening at 605pm. Need any more days?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,639 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather Question

In Scotland the weather can change 5 times a day. Best to be prepared. It shouldn't be really cold i.e. average 8-10 degrees C (sorry don't know farenheit) but could be windy and wet or gloriously sunny but rarely warm. Don't know if that helps. Basically, bring layers including at least a fleece and a raincoat.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
12 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather Question

Scotland in general is known for its fair share of rainy days. Go there expecting to be rained on. In April the average temperature is about 7 C so I would suggest bringing a warm spring coat that is water resistant and having a hood on the coat also comes in handy if you don't want the hassle of holding an umbrella. You will love Edinburgh no matter if it is raining or not. A beautiful city that everyone should visit at least once!

Have a great time, Linnea

st paul
Level Contributor
108 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather Question

Thanks for the help. I figured it'd be pretty spring like but I don't know what that means everywhere.

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather Question

April showers bring May flowers...goes the saying. Last year April was our best month with really warm sunshine but I think that was the exception rather than the rule.

It will probably be mixed and if you don't like the weather at that precise moment,wait awhile and it will change.:-)

A good waterproof jacket and some warm layers will do the trick and comfortable shoes for all the walking you will do....Edinburgh is a great city for walking.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather Question

A bit of trivia: Mr. Wibble is an accredited meteorologist and does the weather on Sky News- wearing that costume!

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather Question

Angela: "cold" to we Brits, Scots, English, Welsh etc is anything under 55F. Zero F is fairly rare though it can dip a little bit below overnight. Temps recently have ranged from about -2F overnight through 5F to 10F to 5F to 12F to OF to ......

Just look back a few threads and the answer even in summer is "layers, layers layers".

Such pseudo "cold" temps are just as well to us as one inch of snow can close every road and highway in the area. Temps near freezing can jam the points (switches) on the railroads. We get the "wrong" kind of snow which can stop a diesel loco. We get the "wrong" kind of rain in our frequent droughts (these occur after 2 or 3 days without rain). And of course now we are getting tornados and earthquakes!

Apart from that you'll love Edinburgh. If it is wet and/or cold there are loads of free museums and art galleries. A daytrip by train to Glasgow (frequent trains about an hour's journey) is worthwhile as there are superb museums and art galleries and the best shopping in the UK.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather Question

And Buddy is a "shill" for the Glasgow Tourist Board who also owns large blocks of commercial property and numerous tourist traps in the city. ;)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather Question

don't worry too much - Edinburgh rains half as much as Glasgow....where is rains ALL the time (heehee)

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather Question

Buddy - you are getting your F & C's mixed up methinks? LOL

The coldest I have noticed lately and you will I think bow down to my superiority in being further North is -5C/23F! It rarely gets colder than that.

If we get -2F in Scotland - I will be moving to warmer climes...along with the polar bears. ;-)