We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh attractions that aren't to be missed.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh attractions that aren't to be missed.

My friends and I will be in Edinburgh the last week of July. They're starting out in London the week earlier, then heading up to Edinburgh the second week of the trip. Several of us have been to London before so they have that itinerary worked out, but we're looking for the things that just can't be skipped in Edinburgh. Even if it's off the beaten, touristy, trail. If you can think of the top things that you like the most, what would they be? Also, any good hotel/B&B recommendations for a group of about eight women? Any good local pubs you'd recommend? Ok, just about any information you want to post will do... ;o)

Thanks!!!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Rabbie's
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours
James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited
Photography Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
London, United...
Level Contributor
513 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh attractions that aren't to be missed.

If you have any interest in history I would suggest The Georgian House, which dates from 1796. Also Gladstone's Land which is a typical tenement dating from 1620.

Visiting the castle is, of course, pretty much a given as is Holyrood house.

Personally I love the Botanical Gardens in Edinburgh. The art museums are pretty good too.

The romantic at heart will wish to visit the statue to Greyfriars Bobby - check out the story on line.

If you have any interest in architecture I would strongly recommend that you spend a day visiting Glasgow. The Glasgow School of Art, designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh in the early part of the last century is amazing and you can enjoy lunch in the reconstruction of the Mackintosh-designed Willow Tea Rooms. His own home is also recreated at the museum.

It is also very interesting to compare and contrast the personality of the two cities. I remember being told that it you visited a home in Edinburgh mid-afternoon you'd be greeted with "you'll have had your tea then"; whist in Glasgow the greeting was "you'll be wanting your tea then". As I am Welsh I will refrain from comment!

Have fun.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh attractions that aren't to be missed.

Hi

Sounds good - totally agree with Philbert (I'm saying nothing about the tea story though!) Other ideas:

If you like the outdoors - you must go up Arthur's Seat - a super wee hill (extinct volcanoe) in the middle of the city.

On my list would be a meal at David Bann (www.davidbann.co.uk)

Just wandering through the contrasts of "new" and old town...

A ghost tour of some sort - Mercat Tours ones are good.

The sooner you book your accomodation the better - things get really crazy as you get nearer the festival - the fringe starts in early august so worth gettng sorted! If there are 8 of you it could be worth going for a premier travel inn or travelodge - some are in v. good locations (St Mary street - just off the high street)

have a great trip

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh attractions that aren't to be missed.

Thanks loads for the info! Oh, and I realized that I forgot to mention that the trip will be in July '08, not this July.

One of the girls and I LOVE the ghost stories that have been shown on the Travel Channel here. We want to visit the graveyard where there's supposed to be a poltergeist; for the life of me I can't remember his name right now. We also want to see the underground/catacomb attractions. We're both up for good walking tours, but I don't know about the rest of the group. One of the girls said she'd go if we'd promise not to leave her sight. Sissy. ;o)

Architecture is a good start. I love to look at the architecture of the places I visit. All of us love it because it's so different from our hometowns. I live where every house is nearly indistinguishable from the next in the flat-lands of NJ. They live in the Rockies, so it will be a big change for us all.

Honestly, the only thing we've ironed out so far is Prince's Street Gardens and Harvey Nichols. Oh, and of course some want to get in some William Wallace. We're such girls.

Thanks everyone, please keep the suggestions coming!

London, United...
Level Contributor
513 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh attractions that aren't to be missed.

I forgot to mention in my earlier reply that you will find information for The Georgian House and Gladstones Land which are owned by the National Trust for Scotland at www.scotlandforyou.co.uk .

If you decide to visit Glasgow I would strongly recommend trying to get transport to Helensburgh to see another National Trust property - The Hill House which was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

(If you get the idea I'm interested in architecture and big fan of Mackintosh - you'd be right!!)

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
Level Contributor
813 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh attractions that aren't to be missed.

Our highlight was the tour of the Royal Yacht Britannia. Wouldn't have missed it for anything, and it's one of the bits of our trip that we most remember and tell others about.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh attractions that aren't to be missed.

Desertgirl - how was your experience, like what made you so craxy for it? We always try to find one thing that's a bit out of our realm to try. I'm open to just about any suggestion.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh attractions that aren't to be missed.

Yeah, Phebert...I kinda got that impression ;o) I'm kind of the same way. I'm the typical tourist snapping away with the camera, but I take pictures of the buildings a lot. Like, when I was in Dublin this March, I took pictures of one of the buildings across from St Stephen's Green - just because I thought it was right purdy! In Galway it was the same with the buildings along Galway Bay. Ok, that and the buildings are so different than here. I couldn't tell you the different styles of architecture yet, but I know what I like. But, my biggest thrill of all are the churches, I LOVE the architecture of a church.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh attractions that aren't to be missed.

Um, and Desertgirl, that would be crazy - not craxy. Wooo, I would so lose at Scrabble. ;o)

9. Re: Edinburgh attractions that aren't to be missed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 05, 2009