We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good places to eat and drink in haymarket

Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
69 reviews
40 helpful votes
Good places to eat and drink in haymarket

I'm heading to Edinburgh this weekend with a group of about 8 guys. Staying in Haymarket and wondering if anyone has any recommendations for breakfast, lunch, dinner and pubs in general. Kind of want to stay out around haymarket as we've all been to Edinburgh before and done the whole grassmarket/cowgate scene before. Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
1. Re: Good places to eat and drink in haymarket

Shebeen for South African fare

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,846 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Good places to eat and drink in haymarket

Head a block or two up Dalry Road. First Coast: Scottish, asian, european. Locanda de Gusti: excellent small italian place.

Head a similar distance towards Princes Street, and you'll pass Otro: excellent bistro/brasserie

These are places you should book rather than just turn up.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
6,442 posts
255 reviews
374 helpful votes
3. Re: Good places to eat and drink in haymarket

Best place to eat around Haymarket is Locanda de Gusti, but on a weekend you normally require to book a month in advance. Caley Picture House one of Wetherspoons largest venues on Lothian Road could probably accommodate you, but drift in in two's or the doormen might decide they don't want your custom as will a lot of venues outwith Grassmarket/Cowgate.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
9 helpful votes
4. Re: Good places to eat and drink in haymarket

I would head to the West End to Ryans Bar or Lothian Road to BrewDog. Seems a shame to restrict yourself to Haymarket imo!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
64 reviews
136 helpful votes
5. Re: Good places to eat and drink in haymarket

There are plenty of options around Haymarket, but I agree with SamUK1 that it would be a crying shame to limit yourself to there.

You can do a good triangular pub/restaurant crawl from Haymarket (Platform 5, Haymarket Bar, Ryries), up Morrison Street (Malones, Monty's, Lebowskis) down Lothian Road(BrewDog, Shakespeare, Picture House), West End (Ryan's, Grosvenor), then divert to William Street (Teuchtars, Melville) and back to Haymarket.

Those are all pubs - there are plenty decent eateries as well, ranging from Indian (Omar Khayyam, Ignite), Steak (Shebeen), Mexican (Topolabamba), Chinese (Chop Chop, Edinburgh Rendezvous).... too many to mention.

Level Contributor
2,418 posts
1 review
6. Re: Good places to eat and drink in haymarket

The Omar Khayham has been a longstanding choice of mine for a curry when I'm down that way.

Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
69 reviews
40 helpful votes
7. Re: Good places to eat and drink in haymarket

Cool thanks for all the suggestions. The triangle pub crawl sounds like a great idea!

Reply to: Good places to eat and drink in haymarket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted