We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from liverpool to edinburgh

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
train from liverpool to edinburgh

the journey from london to edinburgh by train is famous for it's scenic aspects but i was thinking of taking it from liverpool. is it still nice or should i wait until a time i can make the trip from london

8 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,824 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from liverpool to edinburgh

I wouldn't say that the train route from London to Edinburgh is famous for its scenic aspects. The section north of Newcastle is quite pleasant and certainly a lot more attractive than the section further south.

We do have some very nice railway journeys but they tend to be in the Inverness, Plockton and Kyle of Lochalsh area https:/…

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,292 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from liverpool to edinburgh

Not sure I understand the question. If you need to get from Liverpoool to Edinburgh then train is a good way to go, and yes, much of the route (via Preston and Carlisle) is quite scenic.

But I wouldn’t do the journey just for the sake of the views!

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
609 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from liverpool to edinburgh

Both East & West routes are quite scenic, but only for the last 100 miles or so.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
615 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from liverpool to edinburgh

The West Highland Lines (Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh and Fort William - Mallaig) are the more scenic routes, beating both the east or west coast mainlines!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from liverpool to edinburgh

"The West Highland Lines" VERY TRUE - top rated scenery. However they won't get you to Edinburgh :-) Liverpool to Edinburgh west coast: open your eyes as you pass east of the Lake district, and again through the rolling hills through the borders. If you choose East coast, the route follows the coast north of Berwick and again is attractive. But neither is a must-see tourist route. The WHL line would be good as part of a Scottish trip north of Glasgow, though it takes under an hour to get from Edinburgh to Glasgow to pick up the train to Fort William and Mallaig,

PS You can take the Transpennine Express route up the East Coast. Liverpool to Newcastle, changing to another train for the leg to Edinburgh. No need to involve London. But IMO it's not worth the extra effort.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,072 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from liverpool to edinburgh

From Liverpool it will be quite a bit quicker to take a train to Edinburgh via Wigan or Preston than Newcastle.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from liverpool to edinburgh

"quite a bit quicker" - that's very true John. But the OP was asking about east coast scenery.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,531 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from liverpool to edinburgh

If you get the Transpennine Express from Liverpool to York, where you would usually change for a train to Edinburgh, the scenery between Stalybridge and Huddersfield is rather nice.

Reply to: train from liverpool to edinburgh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted