We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canongate Apartment

New York, NY
10 posts
Save Topic
Canongate Apartment

Hello!

Has anyone ever stayed at the Canongate apartment? scottishholidayrentals.co.uk/259Canongate.htm

I will be in Edinburgh with my parents and husband in July. My parents will not be able to walk much so I am looking for something very central. The price I was quoted for three nights seems very good...420 GBP

Thanks very much.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canongate Apartment

It is very central and in the heart of the 'Old Town'. Be aware that many properties in this area date from the 1600's and do not have lifts.

This property will fall into this category and is likely to be on the 1st or 2nd floor.

The "Royal Mile" is quite a steep street although there are plenty buses and taxi's.

If you are self catering the price is not bad, although there are only small grocery shops in the immediate vacinity offering a limited range of foodstuffs. However if you intend eating out you might be better (and cheaper) staing at the likes of the Ibis Hotel in Hunter Square - a few hundred yards up the street.

ibishotel.com/ibis/…fiche_hotel.shtml

2 rooms and breakfast for about the same price you are paying. You can eat out for anything from 20 - 100 GBP in the centre.

Hope this helps

New York, NY
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Canongate Apartment

Thank you for your response Fife_Flyer!

I am probably leaning towards an apartment because of price. The quote I got for the Ibis was around 470 GBP. After I posted the Canongate inquiry, I also got a quote of 375 GBP for 3 nights for a 2 bedroom apartment in White Horse Close.

It's not as central from what I can tell but still looks to be a good location near Holyrood palace. Probably the most we'll do for self-catering is breakfast and late night snacks. Do you know what kind of shops or establishments are nearby?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,088 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canongate Apartment

I think there is a small grocery shop very near the apartments as well as a chip shop,Clarindas coffee house is across the road,great for breakfast and there is a fairly new coffee house as well,there are a few pubs quite close by.there is another small grocery type shop on the corner of Cannongate and Jeffery Street,but most of the other shops are more tourist orientated.

New York, NY
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Canongate Apartment

Thank you for the detailed response unclegus. It sounds like a good place for us during our stay in Edinburgh.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,088 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Canongate Apartment

I think you will like it there,it is just far enough down the Royal Mile to be that slightly bit quieter but in an ideal location.the hop on hop off tourist buses go right past the door.

This link will also give you lots of info on the area.

www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/onroyalmile.html

6. Re: Canongate Apartment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 25, 2009