We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Edinburgh
Search

One quick day

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
324 posts
22 reviews
25 helpful votes
One quick day
Save

I know this is crazy, but we will only be in Scotland for one day. We will be riding a train into Edinburgh and will arrive mid morning and will be taking the train back to England in the evening. At this point, I think we will be staying in Edinburgh all day. So, knowing this, what are the must sees?

I do want to see the castle for sure. And Cockburn St.(?) Are there any typical Scottish foods that I must eat? I'd like to try new foods not eaten in the USA. Thanks in advance!

Maryland
Level Contributor
7,565 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: One quick day
Save

Haggis is a popular dish tourists usually search for. Beside the castle, Holyrood House is at the opposite end of the Royal Mile and all the shops and pubs in between can keep you quite busy for the day.

Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
37 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: One quick day
Save

Embrace the crazy; sometimes a day is all you get :)

The castle is a must-do, of course. There is a scotch whiskey tour very near there and a working woolen goods factory as well.

You could always try booking a walking tour of the city--they're usually free, with the guides working for tips. Edinburgh has some really great tour guides with fascinating stories to share. Depending on when your train leaves, you could hike Arthur's Seat, but it's a bit ambitious for a single-day visit.

As for cuisine, I tell everyone from the USA that you have to try haggis; it's delicious, but illegal in the states due to an outdated FDA regulation. It's best ordered with "neeps and tatties" or turnips and potatoes.

Enjoy your trip :)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
3. Re: One quick day
Save

" So, knowing this, what are the must sees?"

There are none, just the things that you want to see.

If the castle is on your list then head on up from the station, walking up part of Cockburn Street if you wish. Allow at least two hours there. Not sure what time that would put you at but you may be there for the firing of the one o'clock gun.

You could grab a sandwich to keep you going and head on down the Royal Mile which has a number of interesting places along the way, and you will pass Cockburn Street again, ending up at the Palace of Holyrood House which may or may not be open depending on when you are visiting. Again this could take another couple of hours.

Now it is mid afternoon. Time for a museum or two, or head out to Leith for the Royal Yacht? Go and do some shopping? Stop for a coffee or a pint? Wander round the Botanic Gardens?

For an evening meal if you want haggis The Doric is right beside the station so not to far to walk after you have filled up.

Edited: 4:38 am, April 18, 2017
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
698 posts
135 reviews
52 helpful votes
4. Re: One quick day
Save

Hi, it's gonna be a busy day. Walk up Cockburn street onto the royal mile, pop into the stunning St Giles cathedral, either head up to castle , could stop at the SCottish whisky tour to see one of the largest whisky collection or down the Royal MIle to the Palace of Holyrood.

As you are short of time I would decide which things are crucial, if you have done Palaces in London it may not be a must visit in Edinburgh, this frees up some time.

If you are trying to see attractions please book and print off your ticket as this will let you skip very lengthy queues.

go onto Princess street and at the end of the street, past the Balmoral hotel, walk up to Calton hill, great views of the city, much better than the castle.

I wouldn't try and travel anymore, your will be walking up and down hills so wear comfortable shoes.

Plenty of places to stop for lunch on Royal Mile, , Grassmarket or Street behind Princess at, George St.

Scotland is famous for its fish and chips, haggis, Iron bru drink, shortbread and tunnock tea cakes, can buy some and eat on train.....enjoy.

Enjoy.

5. Re: One quick day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, April 18, 2017
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
324 posts
22 reviews
25 helpful votes
6. Re: One quick day
Save

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I know it's going to be a busy day and I expect to be exhausted when we return to England that night. That's why I was asking for the must sees. We won't be there long so we wanted to see the hi-lights.. But we will see as much as we can. I'm sure we will have a wonderful time!!

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
9 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: One quick day
Save

What's special about Cockburn St? We only have one day in Edinburgh and I hadn't even considered that as a must see. My must-sees are the castle, National Museum of Scotland, getting pictures of some of closes (alleyways) off the Royal Mile, St. Giles Cathedral and either the palace or climbing Calton Hill depending on what time it is.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
324 posts
22 reviews
25 helpful votes
8. Re: One quick day
Save

Actually, I think I read somewhere on here about going to Cockburn St. (Not this thread)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
22 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: One quick day
Save

Cockburn Street is one of many ways of getting to the Royal Mile. I don't think it has any significance beyond that. Alternative routes might be Market Street (westwards, uphill) to the mound then uphill again. Or Market Street (eastwards) then Jeffrey Street. All three routes place you on different parts of the mile. Choose the one that puts you nearest your first target. The one nearest the castle would be Market Street, then Ramsay Lane from the mound.

There are many other ways of climbing fairly steeply off-road to the mile. E.g. Milne's court, Lady Stair's Close, the News Steps, Advocate's Close, Warriston's Close, Anchor Close, Carrubbers Close, all of which involve a decent amount of cardio workout because they go up and up, step by step.

Cockburn Street is simply a compromise between puffing and panting, and wasting a lot of time on roads avoiding steepness.

10. Re: One quick day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 21, 2018