We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Edinburgh
Search

1st timer in Scotland---Itinerary Help

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
8 reviews
7 helpful votes
1st timer in Scotland---Itinerary Help
Save

Hello,

I will have a long week-end in Scotland...that I can spread 2 days in Edinburgh and 2 days in Glasgow.

What would be the main activities/sites/attractions you'd recommend in each of these 2 cities?

Please outline a list and will pick accordingly...

I am interested in all typical tourists attractions: Castles, Architectures, Scenery, Views of the Cities, Landmarks and Historic Sites, etc...

Thanks much!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
5,240 posts
15 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: 1st timer in Scotland---Itinerary Help
Save

The number one must see in Edinbugh is the Castle.

https://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/visit

Don't miss The Honours of Scotland-our crown jewels.Also the views from the top..

Glasgow is a larger city and very different from Edinburgh.You must see Kelvingrove Museum and then walk up to the University and along Byres Rd to the Botanic Gardens.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,353 posts
65 reviews
27 helpful votes
2. Re: 1st timer in Scotland---Itinerary Help
Save

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Guide-g186525-…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
3. Re: 1st timer in Scotland---Itinerary Help
Save

There are obviously no things you must see just the things that you think will be of interest to you.

Have a look on here at the things to do for both cities and see what ones you like the look of.

Once you have done that you can try and build a plan round them.

Travel between the two cities is easy if you find yourself wanting to stay in one and perhaps only do a day trip to the other.

When is your visit?

Edited: 10:50 am, April 05, 2017
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
39 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: 1st timer in Scotland---Itinerary Help
Save

Two days in each city is just enough time to get a taste of them. As to what to do and where to go, it all depends on your interests, really. We were really interested in hiking Arthur's Seat, for example, so that was a must-do for us, but friends who went a year or two before us loved going to the Royal Yacht Britannia, which held no interest for me at all. Just not my thing. A good place to start your research is Visit Scotland's pages on Edinburgh and Glasgow.

https:/…

and

https:/…

When I was planning my trip, I got a lot of ideas from that site and the Undiscovered Scotland website (http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/) and the Historic Environment Scotland website (https:/…).

Once I had an idea of the things that interested me and my family, I could come back here and ask about particulars. So, my advice would be to check out the websites and narrow it down a little according to your personal likes and dislikes and come back with more specific questions.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
8 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: 1st timer in Scotland---Itinerary Help
Save

Will be there towards end of this month-April.

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
155 reviews
66 helpful votes
6. Re: 1st timer in Scotland---Itinerary Help
Save

I hope you have your accommodations lined up already.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
8 reviews
7 helpful votes
7. Re: 1st timer in Scotland---Itinerary Help
Save

yes..staying at the Hilton on Royal Mile.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
266 reviews
122 helpful votes
8. Re: 1st timer in Scotland---Itinerary Help
Save

For Glasgow, I would say the highlights are;

Kelvingrove Museum and Gallery,

Huntarian Museum,

Riverside Museum (of Transport),

Glasgow Science Centre and the Glasgow Tower,

Sharmanka Kinetic Theatre,

House for an Art Lover,

Glasgow School of Art,

Gallery of Modern Art,

(there are a number of other smaller independent art galleries that are fantastic),

The People's Palace,

Pollok Country Park,

St. Mungo's Cathedral,

The Museum of Religion and Life,

Tenement House,

Shopping (if that is your thing) in the Style Mile and the Italian Centre,

See a play in one of the many theatres,

Go to a gig and one of the hundreds of music venues or on a night out in the city centre (Glasgow is Scotland's entertainment hub),

Go to a sporting event (Glasgow has two of the UK's best supported teams and regularly hosts many international competitions).

There are a few to get you started!

Edited: 3:01 am, April 06, 2017
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
72 reviews
56 helpful votes
9. Re: 1st timer in Scotland---Itinerary Help
Save

Arthur's seat and Pentlands are great climbs if you like that, hard to judge if weather will allow .botanic gardens , museum of childhood , the castle , Edinburgh Dungeons , Mary's king close tour, ghost bus tour, open top bus tours , climbing scotts monument are all within walking distance of your hotel .there are bike tours (pedal and motorcycle ) available, our dynamic earth if you are interested in science (opposite Arthur's seat) ,art gallery , the chocolate tree in brunstfield and artisan cheesecake shop if you like a sweet treat . Whisky tasting , boat trips out to incholm island and back departing from south queensferry a bus journey away ,kings theatre / festival theatre , visit the elephant house for a hot drink where jk Rowling write Harry Potter books , train or bus journey to St. Andrews if you like golf , you can then go on to get fish and chips from elie,If you wanted to travel out for the day . Can't really comment on Glasgow apart from I hear it's good for shopping not somewhere I have been a lot .

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
70 reviews
26 helpful votes
10. Re: 1st timer in Scotland---Itinerary Help
Save

For Edinburgh the top attractions is Edinburgh Castle. Well worth a day out and great views of Edinburgh when you're there. Top must visit in Glasgow is the Kelingrove Museum and are gallery.