We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Edinburgh
Search

Flying to Edinburgh from NY

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
Flying to Edinburgh from NY
Save

Hi,

I am considering a trip to Edinburgh a year from now. I am not an experienced International traveler. I'd like advice on the best way to get there from NY. I don't necessarily need the least expensive flight, but would like advice on the best value. Norweigian Air is flying from Steward in NY to Dublin for a ridiculously low price but I am leery - I don't want to fly in a tin can. Again, I know NOTHING about specific airlines and flights, so any advice is welcome.

Thank you,

Lisa

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
1. Re: Flying to Edinburgh from NY
Save

https:/…ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Travel.html

The air travel forum will be the place to ask

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
50,210 posts
82 reviews
188 helpful votes
2. Re: Flying to Edinburgh from NY
Save

You can fly direct to EDI on Delta, United and American. If you want budget from July Norwegian also have direct flights to EDI. Also look at flights to Glasgow. See Google flights but you won't be able to book this far in advance for a year from now.

Indirect flights- BA via LHR, KLM via Amsterdam or Aer Lingus via Dublin or Icelandair via Reykjavik (to GLA)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
27 reviews
43 helpful votes
3. Re: Flying to Edinburgh from NY
Save

Norwegian are a good airline but you must pay extra for baggage, a meal even a blanket i think. I wouldn't hesitate if it is a good price.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
4. Re: Flying to Edinburgh from NY
Save

Thank you. I will.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
5. Re: Flying to Edinburgh from NY
Save

My son was able to book for next Feb. from Stewart to Dublin for $250 round trip on Norwegian! It seems far too inexpensive. I'm too old for a no-frills flight. : )

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
6. Re: Flying to Edinburgh from NY
Save

Thank you.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
193 reviews
149 helpful votes
7. Re: Flying to Edinburgh from NY
Save

What about an upgrade to Premium Economy if they have such a thing? We flew with Norwegian to Tenerife, granted only a five hour flight but they were excellent, and they have free WiFi.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,351 posts
65 reviews
27 helpful votes
8. Re: Flying to Edinburgh from NY
Save

You don't always get what you pay for! I flew American once (thanks to a cancellation and rebooking by BMI) and never again! Horrible dark interior, rude cabin crew and bad food!

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Flying to Edinburgh from NY
Save

you have time to do some research and monitor price.

Value, inexpensive is all relative to the person and their wealth or not. Many people wont spend a buck on something but will drive or go out of their way to save 20 bucks and spend more time and money doing so.

So, start looking at flights to and from. use excel or whatever way you want to record this info. I find that excel or a spreadsheet make it easy. you can add and delete info at will.

start looking at any direct flights and see what you come up with and if not, then start looking at 1, 2 and 3 stops that will fit the "value" and "inexpensive" part of your needs. You can do some searching weekly and see how those prices fluctuate.

try some of these search engines..

www.skyscanner.com

www.kayak.com

some of them will have prices for a week, month or more, but i will let you figure that out and so when you decide to do more travel you will know what to do.

there are airline web sites too...

http://www.flyertalk.com

with regards to the "tin can" comment. Sorry to burst your bubble, but they are all a "tin can" in some respects.

If you have an issue with being in an enclosed environment say so. Or if you are afraid of flying, then say so. There maybe something your doctor can do for you....better living through chemistry......

one last comment....sometimes you may think you are getting a good deal, but in the end, you are nickel and dimed to death and when its all done, you would have been better off spending a few buck more.

but you will figure this out the easy way or the hard way..

good luck.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
50,210 posts
82 reviews
188 helpful votes
10. Re: Flying to Edinburgh from NY
Save

Those Norwegian flights are on 737's so be aware that there is no premium I am getting too old in the tooth to spend 7 or 8 hours cramped up in a 737 with 31" seat pitch