We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Edinburgh
Search

Best hotel location.

Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
Best hotel location.
Save

Hi there

I have an overnight stop in Edinburgh in August and was looking for advice on the best hotel locations for airport transfers.

Was looking for an area in the city with good transport links to the hotel, that would also allow us to have a walk round the city during the evening (maybe even a ghost tour)

There is such a choice online that I am a bit bamboozled by it all, so thought I would ask those with experience on here.

Many Thanks

Karen

Best value hotels in Edinburgh
The Chester Residence
The Chester Residence
#3 of 156 hotels in Edinburgh
The Raeburn
The Raeburn
#4 of 156 hotels in Edinburgh
Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
#5 of 156 hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
1. Re: Best hotel location.
Save

Edinburgh has such a compact centre just about any hotel in the city centre will do, just comes down to what you want for your money.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
616 reviews
209 helpful votes
2. Re: Best hotel location.
Save

What time is your flight out?

Transport options from city centre are Airlink 100 Bus from Waverley Bridge (runs 24 hours, reduced frequency after midnight), tram (but only approx. 6am to 11.30pm) or Taxi (£20-£25 from Princes Street area) (and not discounting the Lothian Buses No. 35 local bus that goes halfway round Edinburgh to he Airport for £1.60 per person).

Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Best hotel location.
Save

Okay, thanks for that. Have £91 credit on hotels.com so was going to look there once I knew what was available. We are there at an expensive time so nowhere will be cheap but was more looking for a half for decent hotel in a convenientocation.

Cheers for the info 😊

Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Best hotel location.
Save

Thanks for the advice on transfers, will need them so it is much appreciated.

We fly in at 17.30, then fly out the following day at 15.20.

Cheers

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
22 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: Best hotel location.
Save

Draw a circle around Waverley Bridge and gradually expand it. If you look at TA's hotel page for Edinburgh you can click a map and zoom in or out. At the V. expensive end, the Balmoral. There are discount chain hotels on or near Princes Street, or Market Street. Or the Scotsman, the Carlton, poised above the station on South Bridge. Or places like Jury's Inn on Jeffrey Street..

All of which are within a few minutes' walk. All are handy for main tourist areas like Princes Street and the Royal Mile.

Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Best hotel location.
Save

Much appreciated, will do that in the morning.

Thanks again all for the info, it makes life much easier than trying to google it.

Cheers and have a great weekend

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
6,690 posts
259 reviews
379 helpful votes
7. Re: Best hotel location.
Save

In August? Have looked to see what is available? Your £91 is not going to go very far during the Largest Arts festivals in the world..

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
22,139 posts
165 reviews
199 helpful votes
8. Re: Best hotel location.
Save

Good luck with a half decent Hotel in a good location in Edinburgh in August. Already seen a post on the Edinburgh Forum from someone complaining that even a Budget Hotel was coming out at £250.00 per night. Some hotels double prices some treble in August.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
64 reviews
136 helpful votes
9. Re: Best hotel location.
Save

Given that it's August, I would start with what's available for a price you're willing to pay. Then cross-reference with the route maps on www.lothianbuses.com for the Tram, Airlink 100, and route 35.

The suggestion of starting at Waverley Bridge is a good one, but I wouldn't draw concentric circles from it - I would be looking further West, but not further East or South. For example, there are a lot of B&B and Guest House options on the south side (Minto Street), but these would take two buses to get to the airport. Ones around Haymarket, Murrayfield and Corstorphine are en route to the airport,

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
311 posts
110 reviews
71 helpful votes
10. Re: Best hotel location.
Save

Plenty of hotels around the airport itself. Transport to and from the city is easy from there.