We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and grocery stores

Seattle, WA
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants and grocery stores

We will be boating down the Forth and Clyde from Falkirk in July. Being from the USA with no idea of where we can provision or dine in pubs along the route, I am asking for recommendations.

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
16 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants and grocery stores

Which direction - Falkirk to Glasgow, or Falkirk to Edinburgh?

Nearest decent supermarkets are in Falkirk town centre, about 2 miles from the Falkirk Wheel (there is a restaurant there called The Wheelhouse, but I've never been). Bus services are operated by this company: http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/ if you need to get into town and I know there is a service from the Falkirk Wheel

If you are going to Edinburgh, then you could tie up in Linlithgow. There are pubs, restaurants and a Tesco supermarked in the town centre. make sure you visit Linlithgow Pacace and the Loch.

I can't really help with much else as I'm not sure where you can tie up on the route. I'm surprised the boat rental company don't provide recommendations ?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants and grocery stores

Hi, in Kirkie (Kirkintiloch) as the canal goes under the Main St (heading from Falkirk) there is a mooring pier.

On this Street next to the bridge is the Kirkie Puffer which is the old Police Station, this is a Wetherspoons Pub which is a chain throughout the UK offering good food and drink at very reasonable prices (excellent choice of real ales) there are several debates on here about the merits of Wetherspoons (you either love them or loath them) but i frequent this particular one now and again and I like it.

If you fancy trying a typical British "Chippy" for fish and chips then 400yds further along the street on the same side as Kirkie Puffer there is Ghilloni's, they have a sit in section as well, this place is fantastic and highly recommended (I have a "supper" out of here most weeks) all food is prepared fresh and takes just a wee bit longer as a result but is worth the wait, check out thier fresh ice cream and extensive sweet (candy) selection.

If you fancy "Olde Worlde" then continue sailing through the town about a mile further on and as you emerge under a modern concrete road bridge you will see The Stables on the right hand side with it's own mooring pier, as the name suggests this is old stables and has a rustic charm (Old stonework, low wooden beams and open fires)

Extensive menu at reasonable prices and good service and if its nice you can dine outside by the canal.

As for Food shopping there is a large Sainsburys supermarket half way in between the Kirkie Puffer and Ghilloni's down a wide opening on the opposite side of the street.

Edited: 5:25 am, April 07, 2011
Seattle, WA
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants and grocery stores

Thanks for the info. We'll be going to Edinburgh. The only place the boat company mentions for dinner is Linlithgow. I appreciate knowing there's a grocery store there, too. We used Google Earth to view the canal route, and frankly didn't see any pubs along side. The "towns" along the canal after Linlithgow didn't appear to be large enough or close enough for groceries (Broxburn, Ratho). We plan to spend a day or so in Edinburgh before heading back to Falkirk. If we move faster than planned, we'll go thru the wheel again and on towards Glasgow. Don't think we'll have time to get as far as Glasgow, though. Having an interesting time interpreting the provisions list the boat company sent us, as well as terms of hire i.e., no "fly tipping". What? (Found out it meant dumping trash).

Reply to: Restaurants and grocery stores
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kirkintilloch