We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballochmyle, Scotland

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ballochmyle, Scotland

Hello All :)

My late father was born in Ballochmyle Scotland and I'm having a hard time finding it on a map.

Can anyone help with where it's located and maybe some good places to stay for about one week?

Much thanks!

Hat

7 replies to this topic
london
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ballochmyle, Scotland

I did a google search, and Ballochmyle seems to be associated with Mauchline ... there's a Ballochmyle Estate, Ballochmyle Golf Club and Ballochmyle Viaduct

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ballochmyle, Scotland

There was a huge hospital there. I think it may have been used during World War 2 for returning servicemen.

I remember visiting my Mum there around 1980. Not sure what happened to it, but it was probably subsumed into more modern organisations like the Crosshouse Hospital on the west side of Kilmarnock.

Someone in the NHS or a local newspaper would know.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ballochmyle, Scotland

Replied on your other thread. There is a large housing estate there now.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Ballochmyle, Scotland

hi, look on the map for the Dumfries to Kilmarnock road. about 20miles from kilmarnock (to the south) you will see the village of mauchline. at the south end of mauchline is a road to the equally small village of catrine. follow the road , and at the halfway point (about a mile) you will see on your right the relatively new ballochmyle estate which has taken the place of the hospital. the "big house" is still there and has been converted into flats. best of luck, dave

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ballochmyle, Scotland

Lots of historical info available online and in library local history departments. The recording on the link might give you a chuckle. ayrshirehistory.com/mauchline_ballochmyle_ho…

If you are coming to the area for a week's stay it would be useful to know what your general intentions are. You could base yourself in Glasgow for example and skip through to Edinburgh for the day by train and also spend a day in Ayrshire less than an hour drive away, or base yourself on the Ayrshire coast and spend more time locally visiting places that mean something to your family. Take a look at places like Troon, Prestwick and Ayr all of which will have somewhere to go for a stroll within walking distance of a hotel and also on the main trainline to Glasgow and beyond.

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ballochmyle, Scotland

The original post is over three and a half years old

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ballochmyle, Scotland

Ugh I missed that! So many resurrected threads. What's going on?

Reply to: Ballochmyle, Scotland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about East Ayrshire
More East Ayrshire Topics