We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 night surprise?

Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
3 night surprise?

Was thinking of having a 3 night break surprise for the wife in Dundee. Don't know why, just somewhere different. She loves anything different, & Dundee could just be the place! Would you recommend Dundee? Is there plenty to do? Any advice on Dundee would be appreciated, cheers!

Scotland
Level Contributor
242 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 night surprise?

Yes, go for it! We visited Dundee a couple of years ago and loved our trip there. Lots to do, from the McManus Art Gallery and Museum to visiting the RRS Discovery. There also the Verdant Works too.

Brought Ferry is close by too and it's got a castle. Enjoy your trip!

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 night surprise?

There's a lot of redevelopment of the waterfront area going on in Dundee at the moment in preparation for the V&A, so be aware there's a fair bit of building work taking place. However the main city centre and W End area is fine.

The attractions ScotchMissed mentions are worth seeing, plus the shops etc, although there's probably not enough to fill 3 days. However, if you've got a car there are multiple places surrounding Dundee that are very nice to visit depending on your interests - St Andrews is only 20mins away with the East Neuk fishing villages only a little further. There is also the likes of Glamis Castle and Scone Palace reasonably nearby and if you want a Highland experience you could head up to places like Dunkeld/Pitlochry.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 night surprise?

We drove through Dundee the other day and I said to my OH.....I suppose people do come here for long weekends but it wouldn't be my idea of a surprise break. More of a shock!!

Surely somewhere scenic like St.Andrews would be nicer and then you could always visit Dundee and its attractions for the day?

If you are staying in Dundee steer clear of the waterfront. It's a building site at the moment and not very attractive

Woody x

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 night surprise?

Dundee was a pretty gritty industrial city, but is changing. Not my first choice of destination personally, but good as part of a package involving (for example) St Andrews and the "East Neuk" Fife coast. Or northwards as far as Stonehaven.

All cities have industrial estates, housing estates. That certainly includes both Glasgow and Edinburgh. Tourists tend to concentrate in the centre of each, ignoring outskirts. That would also apply to Dundee, which is smaller than both.

Have I put that appropriately/diplomatically, Woodybark and ne_fifer ?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 night surprise?

The hideaway experience! Check it out! ... either that or Malmasion or the Apex

Fife
Level Contributor
154 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 night surprise?

Dundee, the city itself is only about 12 miles long and 10 miles wide but it packs a lot in it.

Do you have transport or relying on public, check the things to do tab at the top of page, there are varying things in the surrounding areas of Fife, Angus & Perthshire.

Scotia Heritage do various walking and driving tours. There are museums, galleries, golf, good pub scene, lots of restaurants, new leisure centre, 2 football teams, shooting, fishing, theatres blah blah

If you can advise what things you like you may get a more pointed answer.

The Waterfront area is under huge regeneration so is a building site, not sure what people expect pop up buildings overnight, this is where the train station is situated and 5 mins from city centre. it is also a main thoroughfare for getting through the city so if you're driving will probably pass over it. I do it every day and have lived to tell the tale!

7. Re: 3 night surprise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, November 08, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Dundee
Recent Conversations