We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glens of Angus/Perthshire, etc...

Newtown...
Level Contributor
71 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Glens of Angus/Perthshire, etc...

Hello:

I am a photographer and have limited time in Angus/Perthshire/Aberdeenshire/Stirling areas. Trying to hone in on some Glens to photograph. We don't have those in NYC where I am from! I will have a car but I am not a hiker...a good walker sure but not an outdoorsy type...I'm a city girl. Could really use some help here! Will be in Scotland in mid April...

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeenshire
Aberdeenshire
Scotland, UK
Stirling
Stirling
Stirlingshire, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
671 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glens of Angus/Perthshire, etc...

you could try Glen Isla

by car from St. Andrews, it will take you approx. 1 hour cross over into Dundee, follow the signs to Blairgowrie/Alyth & take the road into Glen Isla. First photo opportunity is at Reekie Linn waterfall.

Be careful though and wear sensible shoes. The back on teh road, follow it into the glen to Backwater reservoir

There is parking and a fairly level walk - from there return to the cross roads and follow the main road again

plenty of photo ops along. You will end up on the A93 near Glen shee pass the Ski resort & follow the A93 a little further to get to Devils Elbow.

Alternative is to go to the Angus Glens after crossing into Dundee - follow the same road, but instead of Alyth, go to Kirriemuir. From there follow the road to Glen Clova.

Past the Glen Glova hotel is a single track lane which takes you to te parking area & ranger station. From there are various walks - some need more experience/gear than others. You will find information at the ranger station. Personally I would walk the Corrie Fee route.

Mentioned in this post
Dundee
Dundee
Scotland, UK
Blairgowrie
Blairgowrie
Perth and Kinross, UK
Reekie Linn
Reekie Linn
50 Reviews
Kirriemuir, UK
Angus Glens
Angus Glens
89 Reviews
Kirriemuir, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
627 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glens of Angus/Perthshire, etc...

Sma Glen is cute and pretty

thequaichaberfeldy.co.uk/interest/Sma-Glen.h…

Glen Doll is bigger but just as pretty. Bigger hills

forestry.gov.uk/website/recreation.nsf/LUWeb…

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glens of Angus/Perthshire, etc...

Lots to choose from but my suggestions would be;

Angus - Glen Clova and Glen Prosen accessed by road from Kirriemuir. Next to each other so two for the price of one. Both lovely countryside with the head of Glen Clova being more mountainous and both have 'loop' roads so you can go up and back on different roads.

Perthshire - go for Glen Lyon - long and majestic. Accessed from Fortingall by Aberfeldy with the circle road over the mountain to Loch Tay.

Abderdeenshire - Glen Muick leading up to the wild Loch Muick accessed by road from Ballater on Royal Deeside.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Aberfeldy
Aberfeldy
Perth and Kinross, UK
Loch Muick
Loch Muick
435 Reviews
Ballater, UK
Ballater
Ballater
Aberdeenshire, UK
Newtown...
Level Contributor
71 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glens of Angus/Perthshire, etc...

Thanks!!!

Newtown...
Level Contributor
71 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glens of Angus/Perthshire, etc...

Hi again!

My husband and I aren't hikers but we want to drive through some of the angus glens. Will this be a scenic trip or are they really best viewed by hiking?

Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
627 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glens of Angus/Perthshire, etc...

Eliza most of them will have roads through and while you may not get everything they have to offer by not climbing the hills the glens are still really scenic from the road.

have a little play with Google maps and streetview.

Edited: 4:53 am, March 29, 2013
Newtown...
Level Contributor
71 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glens of Angus/Perthshire, etc...

Thx!

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glens of Angus/Perthshire, etc...

How about this walkhttp://www.walkscotland.com/walk62.htm - it will take you away from the road and into a glen - it's 9 miles but you don't have to walk all the way around...it's marked as Easy so even a Townie( Scottish nickname for a city dweller) could manage - just wear good footwear not your Manolo Blahniks ;0) The beauty of Scotland is that you don't have to go far to be out in the wilds...

You mention Perthshire too...I agree about the Sma' Glen and there is also some beautiful scenery up at Loch Turret near Crieff - you can drive all the way up to the dam and there is a good path that will take you into some unspoilt country.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Crieff
Crieff
Perth and Kinross, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glens of Angus/Perthshire, etc...

Walking through the glens will be fine; but given current snow levels on the hilltops, and temperatures, you will find the higher routes slippery. Last year you would have been fine, a mini-heatwave in March melted most of the snow; this year the opposite is true, and snow is still accumulating on the hills.

But mid-April you are likely to find roads clear, and the low level paths.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
71 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glens of Angus/Perthshire, etc...

Thank you! I think you may have solved my problem! We are going to be coming to Scotland 10 days and I still don't have the middle of the trip planned! We are visiting our daughter who is in her first year at St Andrews.we will stay there 3 nights then we are driving up to see Dunnottar Castle. I want to photograph it. I haven't picked out a place to stay that night and we are running out of time. I am thinking if either Stonehaven or one of the towns like Ballater that is on the Royal Deeside route. It might make sense to stay in Ballater and see the Glen you mention the next morning, if weather holds. We have a long drive back south after Braemnar and are staying that next night near Glamis Castle in a hotel called Kinetttles. We are meeting a friend at Glamis Castle where she works on Wednesday morning before heading back to Edinburgh for 3 nights.

Sound too crazy?? I don't think the lower Glens will be possible to see but if we can see Glen Muik, that would be a treat... Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Eliza

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Dunnottar Castle
Dunnottar Castle
2,360 Reviews
Stonehaven, UK
Ballater
Ballater