We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good City Centre Restaurant

Which Dundee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fife
Level Contributor
77 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Good City Centre Restaurant

Spending a weekend in June at the Apex for my 30th birthday. We are looking for a good restaurant for the Saturday night within the city centre nothing too fancy but something to suit all tastes or a good Indian.

republic of scotland
Level Contributor
583 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good City Centre Restaurant

Would recommend Bon Appetit. French themed, but down to earth genuine bistro style - not quite rough and ready, but like a 'local' bistro in Paris. Bit more of a treat would be Playwright, next to the rep - £50 a skull, but wow !

Jahangir on the Westport is a great Indian.

Overall, Bon Appetit might suit best as it's literally 200 yards from the Apex, with pubs nearby.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good City Centre Restaurant

A local recommended Rama Thai to us, but unfortunately it wasn't open when we visited - Sunday lunch - looks great though and has good reviews here. Actually quite a few Dundee restaurant reviews - worth a look!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good City Centre Restaurant

Take a 10 minute taxi journey to the Birkhill Inn. Honestly, i've never had such a great welcome, food, and smashing atmosphere. Been twice in the last two weeks.

Try the high tea - hilarious. never seen so much food for under £25!!

Emelda

Dundee, Scotland
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good City Centre Restaurant

Along with Jahangir, the other popular indian in the city although 5 minutes walk up the Perth Road is the Dil'se.

Another popular one close to the APEX is Papa Jopes, or you could try "The Italian".

Immediately outside the APEX is a row of shops which I believe contains the Harbour Chinese, the Taza indian and something else, but I have never ate there!

http://www.dilse-restaurant.co.uk/

http://www.papa-joes.co.uk/

Dundee, Scotland.
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good City Centre Restaurant

I'd agree with killiefaetheferry about Bon Appetit, nice, down to earth, bistro affair and sensibly priced. Another recommendation would have to be Byzantium, just opposite the Jahangir. It's Mediterranean styled and the food is very good, although it is noisy because of their minimal decor and it's always busy. Both places have menus on their websites so you can have a google.

As far as indian goes, I'd second both the Jahangir and Dil'se. Tandoori or Bangladeshi, I suppose they're a bit of a variation on a theme. The Dil'se has better lighting.

Also, bear in mind the catering trade observation made some years ago that people in Dundee only go out on a Saturday night. It's almost true, so wherever you want to go, I'd book a table if I were you!

6. Re: Good City Centre Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 10, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Dundee