We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mikethebarman

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
311 reviews
Save Topic
mikethebarman

I have often driven past Gretna on a 400 mile roadtrip and wondered what it was like. Would you say it was a good place to stop for a break on long journey in lieu of a motorway/refuelling/leg stretching stop (which are pretty scarce in that region). What does it have to offer the weary motorist?

Thanks in advance:-)

Gretna
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: mikethebarman

Hi,

It really depends on what you are looking for in the way of a rest stop, if its just for a quick stop and for something basic to eat there is the Gretna gateway which is open from 10am and just across the road there is a garage to refuel, also there is the Smiths hotel at Gretna Green which provides an excellent breakfast or if you fancy just sandwhiches at lunch time these are available, just across the road is the worlds famous blacksmiths shop which also has a great restaraunt and the chance to look around while you are there, no matter where you go in Gretna you will always be greeted by a friendly face and a smile, if you call at the Smiths say hi to the breakfast staff, whatever you decide have a safe journey.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mikethebarman

Thanks lonewolf - it certainly seems like a good place to stop. And I like the sound of that pub breakfast - we do occasionally drive by at a silly hour when going south having made an early start!

Hope you'll stick around on the forum - you've been very helpful:-)

Gretna
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mikethebarman

Thanks for the reply, I will be sticking around it seems to be a very friendly and helpfull place, if you do call at the Smiths for breakfast remember to say Hi, I'm the hattered looking one lol.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mikethebarman

Oh - Gretna outlet village!!!

Shops!

E.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: mikethebarman

hi purplceltic sorry iv not replyed iv been busy lonewolf is right he is also my brother in law thx babes

6. Re: mikethebarman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, August 25, 2009