We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gretna green wedding

lancashire
6 posts
Gretna green wedding

hi been looking at greta green and getting married there which is the best place to marry and which is the best hotel to stay for and evening doo thanks

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
80 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: Gretna green wedding

Have you been to Gretna recently? It's hardly the most romantic of destinations.

lancashire
6 posts
2. Re: Gretna green wedding

really?? the website for weddings look beautiful

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
43 reviews
39 helpful votes
3. Re: Gretna green wedding

I got married in July at Anvil hall, which all of our guests agreed was stunning, and we had our reception at Smiths hotel. There were 50 of us in total, and many of my friends are professional people with high expectations, the feedback we received was fantastic, all were suitably impressed. Gretna Green was charming, i don't think i would choose to get married at the Blacksmiths yard as too many tourists and not very private, however there are many venues to marry at, and i would certainly recommend it given our experience.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
80 reviews
82 helpful votes
4. Re: Gretna green wedding

I'm pleased your day went so well. Last time we visited which was about 18months ago the whole area looked more like a theme park. I guess it's all down to perceptions. We were unimpressed.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
19 reviews
13 helpful votes
5. Re: Gretna green wedding

Danni: Have you actually driven up the M6 to Gretna? Not so far up from Lancashire. If not why not have a day out, go and see for yourself what is available Do you wish to get married at a place you do not know or have a feel for? All individual taste for one of the most important days in your life and may depend on your budget. These days on leaving the M6 the first thing you see is the Gretna Gateway Outlet Village which, for me, takes away the old feel of Gretna. There are a few small old hotels which are no longer open/used and left looking very rundown. The new bigger hotel is commericalised and just like any other top hotel anywhere in UK. Feel sure that you can find better places in Lancashire or, if you want to marry in Scotland, other parts of Scotland such as Loch Lomond. Enjoy planning your wedding and best wishes for a happy married life.

Birmingham, United...
4 posts
6. Re: Gretna green wedding

I got married recently in Gretna Green at Anvil Hall and it was absolutely beautiful and very special. We held our reception at The Gables Hotel which is only round the corner from the Anvil Hall. I could not recommend this hotel enough, the food is amazing, the staff are the best in the business and the surroundings are fabulous.

Fochabers, United...
3 posts
1 review
8 helpful votes
7. Re: Gretna green wedding

My husband and I got married at the Blacksmiths Cottage in Gretna Green on the 8th October 2011. We organised everything through the Gretna Wedding Bureau, the staff were very friendly and helpful. we stayed at the Gretna Hall Hotel, the guys hired their kilts from Glendinning Kilt Shop in Gretna, got beauty done at Spoilt @Smiths, buttonholes from The Flower Box in Gretna, Piper was John (brilliant), photographer and video also provided . We can recommend the bureau and the service we received from all of the above mentioned businesses, they went out of their way to make our day so special. Thanks to all!!

Fochabers, United...
3 posts
1 review
8 helpful votes
8. Re: Gretna green wedding

We got married there on the 8th October 2011 and it was the most romantic day of my life!!! Great hotel, great wedding and great meal. Romance is where you make it!!

lancashire
6 posts
9. Re: Gretna green wedding

thanks for writing! yea we have been looking at botht them places arh am glad you enjoyed it am going to ring them did u go and have a look round with them up there?

Fochabers, United...
3 posts
1 review
8 helpful votes
10. Re: Gretna green wedding

No we did all the booking and looking online, just went the day before the wedding and everything was perfect.