We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't decide where to get married

Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Topic
Can't decide where to get married

We want to get married in Gretna Green. Searched on Web, found that there are too many to choose from, and we can't go look as we live in Australia. Castle would be nice, so would a small Chapel. We want to get married at an original place that has not been newly introduced as a wedding venue. Any suggestions?

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't decide where to get married

We wed at Forter Castle in Glenisla and had the most fabulous time. The Castle cost £2K the the WHOLE WEEK and can accomodate 10 adult guests easily. It has its own chapel.

www.fortercastle.com

I have lots of candid photos of the various rooms etc if you are interested. For more info see my review on this site.

bolton england
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't decide where to get married

Hi just got married at auchen castle in moffatt scotland,i would strongly advise not to use this venue, the wedding coordinators are hoples and the castle took over ã2500 from our credit card whilst on honeymoon for a cigarette burn on the carpet in the bar room, which was caused by a group of people who where not even our guests.and the rooms and service is very poor

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't decide where to get married

You could try www.glentanar.co.uk which has everything you need for a wedding venue. I am not sure how long it has been arranging such things, but certainly it has been doing so for the last 3 years. They should know what they are doing by now and have sorted out any initial problems which new businesses are prone to.

It is in Aberdeenshire which may not be your choice, but could give you an idea as to what is available and help you narrow the field.

Glen Tanar does have its own chapel.

Scotland
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't decide where to get married

Have a look at Lockerbie Manor Hotel. It's only 20 mins away from Gretna Green, where you can get married, and then travel the short distance up to the hotel. It really is very nice. They have a website. Well worth a look!

Lincolnshire
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't decide where to get married

We were married 21 April 2006 at the Gretna Hall Blacksmiths and was really great feeling part of history. It was very different and the Blacksmiths dates back to 1710. Everyone is very helpful and all ran very smoothly considering we had booked everything over the internet and hadn't really got a clue what to expect or do. We had our wedding reception at the Lockerbie Country Manor Hotel and all our guests stayed over. The owner and staff were fabulous couldn't be more helpful. Lovely, lovely place. Have a look at their website and see what they can offer www.lockerbiemanorhotel.co.uk or give them a ring, as I said they are not pushy at all , they will tell you what they can do for you. They have a room that you can get married in. The food is excellent couldn't fault it. To sum up, Lockerbie Manor Country Hotel truly made our wedding day very special. I hope that they can make all future couples wedding day's as memorable as they made ours.

Carlisle, Cumbria
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't decide where to get married

Good luck for your wedding at Gretna. My sister has chosen the new hotel Smiths at Gretna Green for her wedding in August. It's a beautiful hotel and just across from the Blacksmith's Shop. If you don't have any luck finding an original place have a look at Smiths website.

northampton...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't decide where to get married

your sister will have a fantastic time. I got married at The World Famous Blaksmiths Workshop just over the road from Smiths in the original workshop wihere the Blacksmith carried out weddings . Lots of history there. We stayed at Smiths and had our reception there. You're right the hotel is wonderful. The rooms are huge. the staff couldn't have been more helpful. The food was fantastic. All my guests are still raving about the hotel and the food. The hotel is new and contemporary. Not much history. Just one extreme to another. Historical to the new. Hope your sisters wedding is fab.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't decide where to get married

How about Alloway Church in Ayrshire the birthplace of Robert Burns. Its delightful and just across the road is the fantastic Brig O'doon Hotel (which also does weddings btw). In its gardens is the Bridge O Doon famous for being the bridge in Robert Burns Tam O shanter comical poem. It is a favourite for weddings as it makes the perfect backdrop for the photos and the place is a fantastic, classy venue. Not biased - just live nearby!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't decide where to get married

here's a link to Alloway details - there are pics of the bridge and gardens.

scottishholidays.net/client/…005-001-117.html