We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary

cuneo
Level Contributor
131 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary

Hi,everybody!This is my itinerary:Ayr-Mull of Galloway-Isle of whithorn-Newton Stewart-Kircudbright-(A711)-Dumfries(A710)-Gretna Green-Lockerbie-Dumfries(A709)-New Galloway-Ayr(A713).I've got 4 days,are they enough?What do you think about my itinerary?Thanks for your help.

Caerlaverock Castle
Architectural Buildings, Castles, Historic Sites
Drumlanrig Castle
Castles, Historic Sites, Art Museums
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,022 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary

I'd say you've got enough time,although not sure about Dumfries appearing twice.

Have you thought of driving through the Lowther Hills, via the villages of Leadhills and Wanlockhead (highest in Scotland, I think)? A797 from Abingdon, north of Lockerbie.

Some interesting landscapes and museum in this remote area.

If you are not getting married, I'm not sure what the attraction of Gretna is... but maybe I'm just an old grump!

Scotland
Level Contributor
186 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary

Nice route and easily done in 4 days. From Castle Douglas I would take the A745 to Dalbeattie then the A710 coastal route to Dumfries (if weather is nice). Although it's a good bit longer, it's very scenic and Kipford and Rockcliffe are worth a visit(small villages with a nice coastal walk linking the two). I would definitely choose to spend time in this area rather than Gretna and Lockerbie, but it depends what you want to see. Portpatrick is also nice if you can spare the time on your way down to Mull of Galloway.

cuneo
Level Contributor
131 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary

Thanks a lot,I'll follow your advice.

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary

Are you taking the A77, or the A714 to Mul of Galloway?

Wigtown is Scotlands national booktown and there are often events going on, worth checking out their website.

I agree that the Galloway side offers so much more than Lockerbie/Gretna. Dont miss visits to places such as Kirroughtree and Glentrool forest parks, both are beautiful.

You could from Ayr, travel to New Galloway by taking the A77, then cutting off for Straighton. You would then come over the beautiful galloway hills, stop off at the Black Bull in Straighton great food! Then over past Glentrool (you can call at the Forestry visitor centre there), then on through Newton Stewart to the Machars and Mull of Galloway.

Glentrool is spectacular and the views up at bruces stone of Loch Trool is magnificent.

Have a wonderful trip!!

cuneo
Level Contributor
131 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary

Thanks,Sunscot!

I'm taking the A77 to Mull of Galloway.On my way back to Ayr is it better to take A 713 or A712 and then A714?Is Straiton worth a detour?

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary

NO, Straiton itself isnt worth the trip, but the route takes you past Glentrool which is worth a visit, and then its a "passing place" road over the hills which if you are not in a hurry, gets some lovely scenery.

In Straiton, is the Black Bull pub, which is a real country pub.. I mean dogs, chickens etc running around but the food is brilliant!The owner Kenny is a Glasgwegian, a character.. and does all the cooking himself, all natural good food! His steak on haggis is amazing!

If from Newton Stewart you wanted to go the other route, you could take the A714 straight over to Girvan. Then on to Ayr. It too is a lovely scenic road, twisty and turny, but nice again if you are not rushing. Girvan is a little harbour town which is pretty on a nice day.

From there, take the coastal route past Turnberry, dont miss the electric brae! (as opposed to sticking on the main A77)

Croy shore is a lovely beach on that route.

Sorry...giving you too many choices here!!

cuneo
Level Contributor
131 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary

Sorry...I've got only 4 days!But thanks a lot,indeed!

8. Re: itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 04, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Dumfries