We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dumfries Warning

Denver, co
2 posts
Save Topic
Dumfries Warning

WARNING!Last summer (2004) my husband and I were traveling around parts of Scotland by train and we came to the very pretty town of Dumfries. We tried to find a vacancy in a hotel near the station but the first 2 hotels were completely full, then we found a beautiful little hotel called Huntingdon Hotel and it looked almost deserted, we soon discovered why. We carried our bags into the completely empty bar and waited for around 10 minutes before the manager came in and asked us what we wanted and what we were doing there. He was so rude we didn't even ask if there were vacancies- which obviously there were.WARNING! this place is run by the rudest man we have ever met. He seemed to go out of his way to insult us and drive us away. I have no idea what his problem is but the way he spoke to us is inexcusable.

Dumfries and...
Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dumfries Warning

Sorry you had such an unfriendly welcome Dumfries, I hope you found somewhere nicer to stay in the end. I know the Huntingdon Hotel but have never heard any reports about it, but I'll be wary now to recommend it to anyone.

Bury Lancs uk
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Dumfries Warning

We had a bad time too, we arrived at guest house to be told our booking was not confirmed yet I had the conformation in my hand. But we called into the torist information centre and they were very nice and helpfull. The lady called a few hotels but they were full! Then she remembered Mabie House it was great so good infact we whent back for new years eve for 4 nights and took all the family and we are going back this year.

So I do recomend try it again but at Mabie House.

Gary Booth

Iowa
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dumfries Warning

Last week (May 2006), I had the pleasure of staying at Huntingdon House Hotel in Dumfries for three days. There are a few bad reviews out there on this hotel from the previous owner but a lovely, very hospitable couple now runs the hotel. The hotel was clean and nicely decorated. We had no problems checking in. The owners cooked a nice breakfast every morning. The owner of the hotel told us all about the history of the area. He gave us many good tips on how to get to the local sites. The hotel is located in an area that is very convenient for walking to the town center. After a nightly dinner and site seeing we would all congregate in the hotel bar, I found the bar clean and well stocked. It is a great place to have a few beers. I have traveled a lot and never before have, I experienced such hospitality. You are not just a room number at the Huntingdon House Hotel. It was a pleasure talking to the Terry the owner. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to the Dumfries area. I hope to return to the Huntingdon myself.

Denver, co
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dumfries Warning

Update.

We happened to be traveling near Dumfries this summer (2006)

So we dropped by Huntingdon House again to see about the new owners and tell them our story.

We never made it past the parking lot.

There where two men arguing and shouting in the parking lot. We just got back in our car and drove away.

5. Re: Dumfries Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:26 am, August 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Dumfries