We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oban trip

Which Oban hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
3 posts
Save Topic
Oban trip

Hi, we're staying in Oban for a couple of days (begining of April) and would like to visit one of the isles, we have a 5 mth old baby and no car. Any suggestions which tour might be the best?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oban trip

Baby in backpack or baby on wheels? That might affect possible suggestions. And I presume you're implying a day trip?

First of all the facts: http://www.calmac.co.uk/ have information about routes and timetables and prices. But they don't tell you much about transport on the islands, which might range from quite a lot, through to nothing.

If you want something laid back and outdoors, try Lismore. http://www.isleoflismore.com/ Restaurant and cafe and a few shops, and some historical sites, nothing major.

The obvious place to visit is Mull, and Tobermory is the place everyone heads. It's really too big to get around the island in one day, but Tobermory is a bustling wee place. Tobermory/Jackanory.

Or you could head (via Mull) to Iona and Scotland's early christianity. There are some buses from Craignure to Fionnphort, connecting the necessary ferries, but not leaving you an enormous time on Iona.

Not knowing whether you like shops, eating, history or outdoors it's difficult to say which is best.

There are also ferries to Coll and Tiree, but basically one circular sailing per day; so more a boat trip than an island one unless you want to stay overnight. EXCEPT ON A THURSDAY when you can manage a day on Coll.

www.visitcoll.co.uk/Coll.php?p=daytripstocoll

Enjoyability of any of these depends very much on your baby. So do you feel lucky, punk? A day trip to Coll can't really be cut short if your baby turns fractious half way through. Lismore has a few sailings, and Tobermory has lots of facilities.

I realise that's back-to-front tourist advice, but how often are holiday agendas set by what the kids can do?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,811 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oban trip

Derek has covered most of the options. If the weather is good, and you have a backpack to carry your baby in, the nearby island of Kerrera is also a nice place for a quiet and scenic walk.

uk
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oban trip

Thanks Derek for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately our little one is only 5 mths and she probably wouldn't last in a backpack the whole day. It might be a good idea to wait until she's a bit older. I'll check the websites you have kindly mentioned and see the details for any boat trips, that might be a better option for us just now. Thank you once again!! Lenka

uk
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oban trip

And likewise, thanks Dhmellor. Kerrera sounds like my cup of tea!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oban trip

Lismore and Kerrera both offer you a similar level of exertion/ comfort. It it was me, I'd go to Lismore - a bit more interest, marginally nicer ferry, and roads a wee bit better for pushing a pram or buggy.

Llandrinio, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oban trip

Hi - Just joined Tripadvisor so hope am posting correctly...I am travelling to Barra from Glasgow and spending two nights on Barra before travelling by ferry to oban for a night. I have 3 children 13,11,3 and am looking for advise on the best beaches/walks things to do on Barra and also things to see/do in Oban - Thanks

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oban trip

Hi clarer553

My advice would be to start your own thread/ discussion/ question. You'll get a better response than piggy-backing an existing question.

Also, might be better asking separate Barra and Oban questions.

Finally, check these two pages first, in case your answers are answered already:

Barra - tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g675088-Isle_of_Ba…

Oban - tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186501-Activi…

Llandrinio, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oban trip

Thanks v much.

9. Re: Oban trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 04, 2014