We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car or Bus Tour on Mull?

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car or Bus Tour on Mull?

Hello,

I am trying to decide whether to take a rental car onto Mull or take a bus tour. We plan to stay in Oban and will have a car. We are planning to spend a day on Mull, and take a 2nd day to visit Iona and possibly Staffa.

On Mull, we would like to see Duart Castle and Torosay Castle, not sure about Tobermory (no small children and the draw with regards to the TV show does not interest us).

I keep finding mixed comments that indicate that taking a car is not necessary and expensive vs you need a car to see Mull. I;ve checked out Bowmans Tours, but they seem to "drive right through" Mull, which isn't exactly what we want to do, we'd like to spend the day on Mull.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Elaine

argyll, scotland
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car or Bus Tour on Mull?

I think you've answered your own question in your last paragraph. If you want to see the island your own way and cost isn't a factor hire the car. The buses are very good and offer a cheap hassle free way of seeing the island, but like you say they are on a timetable so no stopping for pictures en route..

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car or Bus Tour on Mull?

Car. Then you can follow your noses and do what you want.

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car or Bus Tour on Mull?

Hello,

Thanks! looks like we'll take the car!

Elaine

4. Re: Rental Car or Bus Tour on Mull?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, June 22, 2013