We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from oban to inverness or glascow

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
driving from oban to inverness or glascow

Hello, I have to return a hire car to either inverness or glascow and am leaving from oban so was wondering which was the quickest route. Many thanks.

London
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from oban to inverness or glascow

There's not a big driving difference between the two.

Slightly more than 100 miles to Inverness, slightly under 100 miles for Glasgow. Two and a half or three hours depending on traffic and driving style.

If you need to drop the car at an airport location, that may swing things to Glasgow. Glasgow airport is on the Oban side of the city so you won't enter Glasgow at all. Whereas for Inverness airport you'd need to cut right through the city and then out the other side.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
9,596 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from oban to inverness or glascow

I suppose it depends where you are flying TO....

The drive from Oban to Inverness is beautiful and lots less traffic. The airport is about 6 miles out of Inverness but its not a huge effort to get to at all. I would have thought with less traffic the Inverness option would be better and less stressful?

Woody x

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from oban to inverness or glascow

thankyou for your prompt reply..the plan is for us to drop car and get train back to London..

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
9,596 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from oban to inverness or glascow

I suppose then it depends on how much more scenery you want to see or if you just want to get back quickly. The train from Inverness to Edinburgh is a lovely scenic journey and takes about 3.5 hours as there are quite a lot of little stops but I love it and do it fairly regularly.

My goodness - you are up late in Brisbane - get to your bed!!!

Woody x

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from oban to inverness or glascow

thanks again..yes..better "hit the sack"..time goes when concentrating on all this!

London
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from oban to inverness or glascow

To amplify the point made by Woody above, it partly really depends on how quickly you want to get to London.

The fastest train from Glasgow gets to London in about four and a half hours, whereas the fastest from Inverness takes eight hours.

7. Re: driving from oban to inverness or glascow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:42 pm, June 17, 2013