We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staffa Island with small children

Harrogate, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Staffa Island with small children

Hello!

We are visiting Scotland the first of October and were wanting to go to Staffa Island. I have heard it is beautiful and a great fun place to visit. My question is, we have 2 small children, ages 3 and 5. Is this a place they go easily go? Will it be hard to walk around with them? We don't use a buggy anymore, or anything like that, they walk well for good periods of time by themselves. I guess I am just more worried about the terrain and then also if you think they will enjoy it.

If you have any other suggestions of things to do with them, that would be appreciated as well. We will also be heading to The Isle of Skye and Loch Ness.

Thanks so much!

Melanie

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staffa Island with small children

Short, but honest answer - NO.

It will be a small boat; the sea will probably be moving; it's a tricky step ashore (at least, I remember it as such - happy to be told otherwise.; and apart from the cave (again, slippy, uneven rocks); not much to see....

Stay on the boat for the best view and experience.

Just guessing (as I don't have kids of my own), but wouldn't Balamory/Tobermory be of more interest to them? What about a steam train? Or seals (plenty lying around...).

To be honest, I think many kids just love exploring rock pools, collecting small fish and crabs. What more could you want??

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staffa Island with small children

Stayed in Oban last summer with our (then) 3yo and she mostly enjoyed picking up rocks and throwing them into the sea. We also went on one of the seal-spotting boat trips which was fun for all.

A trip to Tobermory would be great, specially if the kids have seen Balamory.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,246 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staffa Island with small children

Good suggestions above. I suspect the boat trips out to Staffa may have finished for the season by October.

Harrogate, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staffa Island with small children

Thanks for your help! I was worried that it would be too rough with small children. I will have to look into Tobermory. We just need to find something to do near the water as my kids also love to throw rocks into the sea! :)

Thanks again!

Oban Area
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staffa Island with small children

If you want to have a small island visit, then you could pop over to the Isle of Ulva from Mull. It is literally a two minute crossing, there is a great little cafe on the other side, plus some way-marked walks on tracks. There is more information on their website. I have been over to Ulva with my two a few times, from age of three upwards, and they enjoyed the shorter walks and the cake, of course!

We did Staffa when they were a little older, maybe 5 and 7, and it was good but we kept a very tight hold of them. Plus that was in the summer, when the weather is a lot more favourable. I agree with the other replies that it might not be the best time to attempt it!

Harrogate, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staffa Island with small children

Thanks! I'll check out the Isle of Ulva as well. From what everyone is saying, I think that I will skip Staffa right now, especialy with my 3 year old who does like to climb and jump around! :)

Thanks again!

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staffa Island with small children

Ulva is beautiful and ideal for your children to get a taste of a very short ferry ride. If you have bikes with children's seats, take them with you and explore the island. As for Staffa, we did it when our children were probably 5 and 8 and they loved it!

8. Re: Staffa Island with small children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 20, 2012