We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self catering in Oban - and midges!

Which Oban hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, England
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
self catering in Oban - and midges!

Hi, I'm looking at staying in Oban in August,

Can anyone tell me where is the best and most central self-catering? And is the midge problem as bad on the coast as it is in the highlands?

Many thanks

Lothians
Level Contributor
758 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self catering in Oban - and midges!

The location of the Esplanade Court Holiday apartments is very good and there are very positive reviews on TA for them:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186501-d1222…

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self catering in Oban - and midges!

That's great - thank you. I've also been looking at the apartment at No.3 The Oban Times Building - has anyone stayed here or knows what the location is like?

obantimesbuildings.com/vs/…home.html

Thanks again

Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: self catering in Oban - and midges!

Both of the places mentioned are within 100 yards of each other and are ideally suited with a great view out over the sea. The Oban Times apartment will be above what is now The Oban War and Peace Museum and will probably be a bit more old fashioned than the Esplanade and I don't know whether parking will be provided.

You should be ok for midges due to the sea air. Go inland on a hot or damp night, near to trees or vegetation and you will see a difference then.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: self catering in Oban - and midges!

Have stayed in Oban Times appartment on several occasions, lovely appartment with some of the very best views across Oban Bay and furnished to a high standard. Recomended.

No problem ever with midges in Oban, far too much fresh sea air!

5. Re: self catering in Oban - and midges!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 06, 2010