We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town for 2/3 nights: Lochgilphead vs. Inveraray vs. ?

Seattle
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which town for 2/3 nights: Lochgilphead vs. Inveraray vs. ?

Hi there, I have finally narrowed down a portion of our upcoming trip. We will spend 2 or possibly 3 nights in a Mid-Argyll town that gives us fairly good access to the Kennacraig ferry (ideally not much more than a 1.5 hour drive, in order rise and shine early to catch the 7am sailing). Some of our party will spend a day on Islay, and some will stay back in whichever town we choose. The party staying back will not have a car for the day.

I'm trying to determine if Inveraray or Lochgilphead (or perhaps a 3rd option?) would best suit our needs. Ideally we'd choose a place that is fun to explore on foot (we've got some little kids that might enjoy exploring a downtown and maybe a playground while others are in Islay) and perhaps explore in the evenings (at least one or two good pubs?). I've been trying to identify a few good B&B/guest house options in either of these places, but nothing sticks out yet. This would be middle of the week (Tues-Thurs, probably) in February.

I'm interested in seeing some of the sights near Inveraray, and Google Maps tells me it's only 1 hour 5 minutes drive from Inveraray to the Kennacraig Ferry terminal, but I've seen other posts that seem to suggest otherwise. Is it only about an hour's drive? Or is that hogwash?

Closer to the ferry terminal I was attracted to the Dunchraigaig House (and the nearby Kilmartin/ancient monuments) but I fear it may be too remote a location to meet my above specs.

Following this leg of the trip we're heading to Stirling and then flying out of Edinburgh.

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on a good place to park ourselves for a few days. Thank you very much! I realize my problem is that I basically want to take 2 months to fully explore Scotland.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,535 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which town for 2/3 nights: Lochgilphead vs. Inveraray vs. ?

You don't give the ages of your children, but ours loved the jail museum in Inverary, I think they were about 9 and 5 at the time.

12. Re: Which town for 2/3 nights: Lochgilphead vs. Inveraray vs. ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, January 23, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Argyll and Bute