We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crinan Canal

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Crinan Canal

I'm visiting Campbeltown next week and intend stopping on the way. As I'll be passing through Ardrishaig, I wondered if it is worthing stopping at the canal entrance for an hour or so. Are there locks, restaurant or cafe there/ Thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,052 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crinan Canal

Hi,

Its actually worth, imo, seeing the WHOLE canal. Its a very lovely spot where it enters the sea at Crinan, and might only be an hour or so detour from your route.

Last time I was there a couple of years ago the Crinan Hotel did excellent seafood, but recent reports suggest a slip in standards. Still a beautiful spot.

Also a good place to get to the unique Corrievreckan Whirlpool - an amazing phenomenon a few miles offshore.

As I recall, there are a a couple of watering holes at Ardrishaig, but I haven't used them. Tarbert just further south has a good range of pubs, restaurants and cafes around its pretty harbour.

http://www.whirlpool-scotland.co.uk/

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crinan Canal

Yes, a walk along the towpath from Ardrishaig is very pleasant. If you've only got an hour, you could walk as far as Lochgilphead and then hop on a bus back to Ardrishaig - they are quite frequent.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crinan Canal

Eventually stopped off at Ardrishaig on way back from Campbeltown. Did not have time to travel to Crinan although I was surprised how quiet and at the lack of canal traffic on the canal. I expected more at this time of year. Never mind, I'll spend more time and walk the route to Crinan next time.

4. Re: Crinan Canal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 28, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Argyll and Bute