We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in Northern Scotland Dec/Jan

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Travel in Northern Scotland Dec/Jan

Hi,

My family and I will be travelling to Scotland (must visit is Banff due to genealogical reasons) and will pick up car in France and drive through the UK. Being from sunny Queensland in Australia, I am not to sure of the weather in Scotland and that far north especially for driving. I am pretty sure the vehicle will have winter tyres fitted all pretty keen for other traveller's advice on driving around Scotland that time of year. Would also like to get as close to Isle of Scalpay as that's my wife's family heritage.

Thanks for your time.

8 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in Northern Scotland Dec/Jan

Dont think I would to keen on driving around Scotland with the steering wheel on the wrong side.... just a thought...

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in Northern Scotland Dec/Jan

What makes you think the car would have winter tyres fitted?

As above I would rather rent a car designed for driving on UK roads rather that one for French roads.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,615 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in Northern Scotland Dec/Jan

Banff is not the far North of Scotland. It's about 1 hours drive from us.. Have to say, it's not my favourite place, not a lot there. At the moment the weather is quite mild, windy and raining. However, no one knows what will happen next week. Also, agree about Winter tyres I would think that they will not be put on a hire car.

I thought that Australia drove on the same side of the road as the U.K.??

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in Northern Scotland Dec/Jan

Thanks for advice. My 3rd great grandfather was convict for stealing in Banff where he lived with his grandparents (age 14). If it's only a fleeting glimpse of the town, I will add it to my list of destinations.

Yes we drive the same side of road as the UK although vehicle will be picked up in France subsequently will be left hand drive (mush the pity).

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in Northern Scotland Dec/Jan

Are you talking THIS year??

Woody x

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,401 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel in Northern Scotland Dec/Jan

The Aussies also drive on the correct side of the road, but if OP plans on bringing a car up from France the steering wheel will be on the wrong side.

I would rather fly from France instead (direct flights from Paris CDG to Aberdeen with Hop Regional/Air France) and rent a car locally or sticking to public transport.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel in Northern Scotland Dec/Jan

Your average car hire company will NOT be keen on a car being driven 'abroad'. Indeed their insurance policies usually ban it, unless arranged specifically. Nor will they be keen on a French car being left in the UK, because it would be almost unrentable here. I would ask. Not sure how long you'll have in France but an alternative might be to do a second hire when you arrive in the UK.

Winter weather hits the main roads occasionally, but so infrequently that carhires in the UK don't bother. There are no enforcing regs - unlike in the Alps where the need is obvious, and elsewhere in Europe where the winter weather is more 'continental'.

london
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel in Northern Scotland Dec/Jan

driving a rental car from France to Scotland is a bad idea ... first, the car hire companies will be very difficult to persuade to allow it ... second, it's a long, boring, tiring drive ... third, flying or train are infinitely preferable

as said above, leave the French car in France, fly to Inverness or Aberdeen and hire another car there

for Scalpay, your best bet is to drive to Uig on Skye and take the ferry over to Tarbert on Lewis ... you pass quite close to Scalpay on the approach to Tarbert ... you can either go as foot passengers or take the car ... if all you want to do is see Scalpay from a distance, you could do a return trip on the ferry without getting off ... if you want to explore you'd need too take the car with you ... however as far as I'm aware the ferry timetable doesn't allow you to return a few hours later, you would need to overnight ... ferry details at http://www.calmac.co.uk/timetables

Reply to: Travel in Northern Scotland Dec/Jan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Banff