We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional Aberdeenshire food

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional Aberdeenshire food

I was born in Aberdeen and spent some of my childhood holidays there and I will be returning, after a long time, for a short holiday this year.

I would like to experience some of my favourite childhood food memories such as mince and mealy puddings and delicious buttery morning rolls.

Any recommendations for places to go for breakfast, lunch or dinner to eat traditional Aberdeenshire meals.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional Aberdeenshire food

Got to buy your rolls from Aitkens! Check this thread out (tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186487-i579-k64…) for more info.

The Prince of Wales pub (http://www.princeofwales-aberdeen.co.uk/) beside Markies is good for food (even if its now part of a chain) and beer and you can sample some haggis. They don't appear to have mince on their memu but my mum raves about the mince & tatties (and mealie) at the Highland Hotel on Crown Street (http://www.highlandhotel.net/).

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional Aberdeenshire food

Thanks for that.I will check out the other thread on Aitkens.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
438 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional Aberdeenshire food

Try the Atholl Hotel. Great for mince and skirlie!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional Aberdeenshire food

Yes Atholl is another great place for Scottish food.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional Aberdeenshire food

There are still places where you can get some nice traditional Scottish fare. About ten miles out of Aberdeen on the Tarland road is Flora's Restaurant at Cullerlie, which has some lovely things. Their beef olives are to die for, and with the proper oatmeal stuffing. They also do nice broth and trifle. If you want to go a little further into the Shire, try the Alford Bistro. Lots of traditional food, but somehow it tastes a bit special. I'm not sure what the secret ingredient is. The Udny Station Hotel used to be good too, although I haven't been there recently. In Aberdeen itself the Atholl is certainly worthwhile, or the Ferryhill House Hotel

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traditional Aberdeenshire food

Thanks for all the useful information. So many places to try. We will try to get to the Alford area as my relations used to live near there. Looking forward to rekindling childhood memories. I am in my sixties so it was a long time ago.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,646 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traditional Aberdeenshire food

If you're near Inverurie at lunchtime, then Mitchell's have good home cooking-http://www.mitchells-scotland.com/about-restaurant.php

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traditional Aberdeenshire food

The Victoria Restaurant on Union Street is worth a look.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traditional Aberdeenshire food

I have a mate coming over from the States. He is keen on trying haggis, tatties, and nips. Do you have a recommendation on the best pub, cafe, or restaurant to take him?

Thanks!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
17,156 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traditional Aberdeenshire food

Take him to the Prince of Wales just in the lane opposite M.&.S.. Don't know about the nips though :0) but you could as for neeps :0)

Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen