We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aberdeen Butteries

Wales
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Aberdeen Butteries

I went to school in Aberdeen many years ago when Butteries tasted lovely. I have not be able to find any similar on our yearly visit. I have been told that they should be made with 100% Lard. Does anyone know of a Baker who might make these ?

Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aberdeen Butteries

its butter not lard although there may be some lard in the dough mix.

Google is your friend. You can oredr them online.

https:/…

Edited: 10:55 am, March 22, 2013
Wales
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aberdeen Butteries

thankyou for your reply, but the receipe I saw on Google said that Classic Butteries must be made of 100% lard and not butter !

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,967 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aberdeen Butteries

Yes they can be made of all lard,some are made 50-50 with butter and lard. Personally, I do not like rowies, but there is a baker's shop in Chapel Street opposite the Holiday Inn Express that is suppose to sell good rowies. It's just a small shop and we have seen it opening at about 2.00am in the morning when we have been staying in the Hotel opposite. It's very popular and there are often queues outside. Lots of baker seem to close in the afternoon, so get your rowies in the morning.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,194 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aberdeen Butteries

yep it's lard,i saw them getting made years ago, never ate one again.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aberdeen Butteries

You can't beat an Aitkens rowie! By far the best IMO in Aberdeen and I've sampled a fair few rowies! ;)

Frances-Jane - the queues are more for their pies than their rowies especially when the pubs/clubs close!

Edited: 4:43 pm, March 22, 2013
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,967 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aberdeen Butteries

True., but my husband works in the next street and lots of his workmans use this bakery and speak highly of the rowies.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aberdeen Butteries

You can even get them in Edinburgh though don;t ask me where. My wife bought a couple and was already munching when I realised. She's vegetarian. The butteries probably aren't.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aberdeen Butteries

Another vote for Aitkens, proper rowies not those bland doughy ones you get in other places.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aberdeen Butteries

You did get veggie rowies but the company who made them went into liquidation.

Wales
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aberdeen Butteries

Thankyou all, it seems like Aitkens gets the vote. Can I ask you to do some detective work for me?

When you next go into your Bakers, can you ask them what percentive of lard and butter they have in their Butteries. Happy Hunting.

Balaboy.

Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen