We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling from aberdeen to st. andrews

Chennai, Tamil...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
traveling from aberdeen to st. andrews

I will be staying at Jury's Inn, Aberdeen from Wednesday through Saturday night, and spending time at the International School Aberdeen for the AMIS Honor Band and Women's Choir Festival. Want a cheap ride to and from St. Andrews and hopefully Carnoustie for an homage to the golf courses there. Is public bus an option? Or train? I think the Jury's Inn is located near the train station downtown. Correct? Any suggestions are appreciated

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling from aberdeen to st. andrews

Aberdeen to Carnoustie is easy by train. There are direct trains that take around an hour. The train station at Carnoustie is very close to the course. However, if you are just going for a look there is actually very little to see at Carnoustie.

For St Andrews the nearest train station is Leuchars, from where you can get a bus or a taxi in to St Andrews. Raileasy is one website where you can check train timings and costs.

Chennai, Tamil...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling from aberdeen to st. andrews

Thank you so much. One person here at my school said there was also a bus option. Yes? No? I will look at Raileasy. Yes, I'm just going for a look and photo at the Royal and Ancient, and Carnoustie is a bonus if there's time. Just another lifelong golfer who will probably not have an opportunity to be in Scotland in his lifetime. Are round trip trains easy to do? Looking for a reasonable turnaround, say two hours max.

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling from aberdeen to st. andrews

I've seen the following website recommended for evaluating schedules for both bus and rail travel.

transportdirect.info/Web2/JourneyPlanning/Jo…

I know the bus station in St. Andrews is only a couple blocks walk from the 18th green of the Old Course. If you're there on a Sunday, you can walk the Old Course as much as you want, as there's no golf played there on Sunday.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling from aberdeen to st. andrews

You could get a Stagecoach or Megabus ( must be booked in advance via website) from Aberdeen to Dundee, then change for St Andrews. Have a play with the options here - travelinescotland.com/journeyplanner/…

For train use Leuchars Station, then bus or taxi.See - explore-st-andrews.com/transport/st-andrews-…

Trains should always be booked in advance, as they are very expensive if bought on the day of travel.

5. Re: traveling from aberdeen to st. andrews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:41 am, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen