We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Aberdeen Int'l airport to Inverness by train

Which Aberdeen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
travel from Aberdeen Int'l airport to Inverness by train

We are 6 adults arriving Aberdeen airport from Dallas via London @3:45pm on a saturday afternoon in August 2012.. Questions:

1. I am assuming we will be checked straight through to Aberdeen since our flights were booked straight through via American Airlines. In general, ow long does immigration and customs take in Aberdeen??? As far as I can tell the train leaves from Aberdeen for Inverness at 5:15pm then not again until 6:20pm. WIll we be able to make one of these trains??

2. how do we get from airport to train station? I saw an earlier post about a "Jet" bus service from the airport to Union Square that leaves the airport every hour on the half hour on saturdays. Is this the quickest option? How long is the "Jet" bus service??

I am assuming I should buy my rail tickets early for the best price but don't know which journey to purchase. ANy help with these timetables and the logistics of getting from point A to point B is greatly appreciated!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Aberdeen Int'l airport to Inverness by train

Hi. Its less complicated than you think! There is no need to go all the way into Aberdeen city centre. There is a railway station, 'Dyce', which is less than 2 miles from the airport, and easily reached by taxi or shuttle bus. Dyce railway station is on the Inverness train line, so is a direct journey for you. Takes 2 hrs, and trains leave every hour on a Saturday.

Train tickets are indeed cheapest if bought in advance, they go on sale 12 weeks in advance. Advance tickets do tie you to a particular train though, so make sure you allow yourselves plenty of time to avoid missing the train you've paid for!

Abs :)

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,346 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Aberdeen Int'l airport to Inverness by train

Also Immigration is done at Heathrow, not Aberdeen - so no worries there.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,165 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Aberdeen Int'l airport to Inverness by train

I think you will need to clear Immigration at London. Your bags will be tagged all the way to Aberdeen though.

You don't ned to go all the way to Aberdeen to get the train. You can pick it up at Dyce station. According to the website there is an X80 bus service to the station on Saturdays but I can't find info about that either.

aberdeenairport.com/transport-and-directions…

The website also mentions a direct bus service to Inverness from the airport, the 10 service but I can't find it stopping on the timetable. Its also a slow service stopping at avery village on the way so probably no use to you.

Maybe just take a cab (there should be 7 seaters available but don't know how much luggage you would have or how happy the driver would be at a 10 minute journey. There's a train from Dyce to Inverness att 17:29 so you should easily make that.

What about renting a large vehicle and driving? Alamo do an airport connect service. You can get a 7 Passenger Minivan VW Sharan for £106 for 24 hours including the one way drop off fee. Given your train fares will be at least £90 that is an option.

Edit sorry our posts crossed.

Edited: 10:04 am, February 26, 2012
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Aberdeen Int'l airport to Inverness by train

Oh yes, and it is my understanding that you will be required to complete customs and immigration at your first port of entry to the UK - London. So you may well have to collect and re-deposit your bags during your transfer in London.

In Aberdeen it shouldn't take too long, as you'll be arriving off a domestic flight and just need to collect your baggage.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Aberdeen Int'l airport to Inverness by train

Thank you all for your quick responses and all the helpful information!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,682 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Aberdeen Int'l airport to Inverness by train

< Oh yes, and it is my understanding that you will be required to complete customs and immigration at your first port of entry to the UK - London. So you may well have to collect and re-deposit your bags during your transfer in London. >

Immigration yes, customs no. And definitely no need to collect and recheck bags unless AA are being incredibly stupid. When you check-in ensure that the bags are checked all the way to Aberdeen and when you arrive at Heathrow just follow the signs to Flight Connections, show your tickets and let them deal with you.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from Aberdeen Int'l airport to Inverness by train

Things must have changed then, last time American friends visited me and connected through LHR they had to collect and redeposit their bags. Note I did not say 're-check', I said 're-deposit'. Of course they don't need to re-check their bags - they will be checked through to final destination. But they need to be physically picked up and wheeled to a different carousel. No? As I say, maybe things have changed! In which case, I'm sorry for out of date info. Slap wrist.

Edited: 1:05 pm, February 26, 2012
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,276 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from Aberdeen Int'l airport to Inverness by train

We have flown in many times from the States via Heathrow to Aberdeen. Bags come straight through to domestic so no customs, but Aberdeen is quite slow at getting bags through, it's a small Airport with a very small carousel, we have often waited up to 40 minutes for the bags to eventually come through.. It's a pain.

Shame, but not surrprising you are going straight to inverness. Lots of people seem to miss the Granite City and Aberdeenshire and disappear to all the regular touristy places,

Edited: 3:32 pm, February 26, 2012
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,690 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel from Aberdeen Int'l airport to Inverness by train

Actually, many of the train tickets now allow you to travel on any train, on a given day, - check the terms and conditions - so you can book your tickets in advance. Train tickets can be really, really expensive if you buy them on the day of travel, so be sure you do book them in advance.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel from Aberdeen Int'l airport to Inverness by train

You'll pay full price for train tickets on the day, but discounts are available for bookings even a few days ahead, on a sliding scale. British rail prices are a wonderful thing, you'll find loads of different prices, and sometimes stations will forget discounts can apply. Hassle them!

Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen