We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RGU for 5 days

Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
28 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
RGU for 5 days

Hello,

I'll be in Aberdeen for 5 days in January as part of my Msc program in RGU. My husbadn will be travelling with me and we'll be staying at Ibis.

I need infromation about the weather, how should I pack?

I'll be engaged in studies till about 5p.m daily, what can my husband do or visit during this time and what can we do together during afternonnns? How would I go from the hotel to the University? What are your general suggestions on the trip? What souldn't I miss in Aberdeen?

P.S. I'll be passing though Edinburgh for 2 days before going to London for 3 days afterwards.

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RGU for 5 days

British weather is notoriously unpredictable, so we can't be specific. You can be sure it will be a lot colder than Abu Dhabi, however. In a ten-day period, rain is very likely at some point, and especially in Aberdeen, there is a fair chance of some snow - enough snow to cause major travel disruption is unlikely but possible. Daytime temperatures are likely to be in the 0-5C range, dropping two or three degrees overnight. Remember, too, that you are a good way north of the equator and days are short - sunrise a little before 0900 and sunset around 1600.

Aberdeen itself is Britain's oil town - there's a large port serving the offshore industry, a good shopping centre, two Universities, and lots of big office buildings, mostly on the outskirts. There is a beach and funfair, and several golf courses. Apart from golf, I'm not sure there is a lot to do there of a tourist nature during the winter daytime - I have mostly spent time there to work! - but there are several theatres and music venues (the Lemon Tree is especially good) and plenty of pubs and restaurants to keep you warm during the evenings.

You don't say which hotel you are staying at, so we can't advise how best to get from there to RGU, but if your contacts have not booked you somewhere within walking distance, there is a good bus service throughout the town.

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RGU for 5 days

Apologies - rereading, I see you mentioned the Ibis, presumably the central one behind the railway station. That's an easy walk to any of the RGU locations.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RGU for 5 days

Hiya

Unfortunately the weather is very unpredictable other than its likely to be cold and wet! I’m not sure if you have warm clothes in Abu Dhabi so you may need to buy some either before you go or when you get to Edinburgh! I’d suggest a warm jacket ideally waterproof, some warm jumpers/sweatshirts to go over tops. A pair of gloves and a scarf is essential too I’d say. Layers are better because when you get to RGU its likely to be warm enough inside to lose some of thicker layers.

The Ibis is very near some of the museums in the city – the Maritime museum is particularly good to visit. Here is the link to the City Council website with the info on the museums (aberdeencity.gov.uk/tourism_visitor_attracti…).

I’d recommend a trip to Old Aberdeen too (the #20 bus from Union Street or Broad Street) as the whole area is very beautiful especially round Kings College and St. Machar Cathedral. A short walk away from the Ibis is the area called Footdee (or Fittie to locals) which is very picturesque and of course is right beside Aberdeen beach with its miles of golden sand – good for walking along but I wouldn’t recommend going for a paddle this time of year!

There are a few day trips your husband could do also – take the train/bus to Stonehaven and visit Dunnottar Castle (http://www.dunnottarcastle.co.uk/). Visit Strathisla Distillery (http://www.scotlandwhisky.com/distilleries/speyside/Strathisla ) in Keith by train to see a working distillery and sample wee dram at the end of the tour. There is also Royal Deeside too but most of it is likely to be closed to the public at that time of year but the scenery is very spectacular so it may be worth getting say a return to Braemar on the bus (the bus station is just along the road from the Ibis in Union Square).

As for getting to RGU for you – you literally walk up Shiprow to the Castlegate where you get the #1 to Garthdee or if you walk a wee bit further to Broad Street you can get the #9 which is the dedicated RGU Uni bus. The First Aberdeen website will give you more info - http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/aberdeen/. It’s cheaper for you to buy a weekly bus pass for the 5 day duration (£16 compared with £21 for 5 x daily tickets or £23 for individual tickets). You can get a pass from the Travel Centre on Union Street (about 5 mins away from the Ibis).

Hopefully that is a few things to get you going initially but feel free to ask for more stuff!

ETA - John987654321, most of RGU is based at Garthdee now so its a hell of a walk from the city centre to Garthdee!!!

Edited: 12:27 pm, January 03, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Aberdeen Maritime Museum
Aberdeen Maritime Museum
1,455 Reviews
Aberdeen, UK
Old Aberdeen
Old Aberdeen
137 Reviews
Aberdeen, UK
St Machar's Cathedral
St Machar's Cathedral
292 Reviews
Aberdeen, UK
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Dunnottar Castle
Dunnottar Castle
2,360 Reviews
Stonehaven, UK
Strathisla Distillery
Strathisla Distillery
301 Reviews
Keith, UK
Union Square
Union Square
172 Reviews
Aberdeen, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RGU for 5 days

Thanks, ne - I did some work at RGU a few years back, hadn't realised they had moved everything out to Garthdee (although some departments were out there at that time). I'm surprised they booked OP into a central hotel in that case - it might have made more sense to put them in one of the hotels on the top of the hill.

Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
28 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RGU for 5 days

Thanks John a lot for your reply. I'll be staying at Ibis Aberdeen centre. I thought it was 10 min walking from the uni then I realized I'll probably be at Gathdree campus not the one at schoolhill.

Can you tell me more about the port, please? I love ports

Mentioned in this post
Ibis Aberdeen Centre
Ibis Aberdeen Centre
1,097 Reviews
Aberdeen, UK
Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
28 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RGU for 5 days

ne_quine Thanks a million. That was an excellent reply. The bus pass is a great tip. I'll surely buy one as soon as I reach Aberdeen. I don't have REALLY warm clothes but they are available to buy from Abu Dhabi so I'll have to go shopping:D

Though I'm very scared of the weather but I actually wish to see snow. It can only snow sand here in ABu Dhabi and back at home_Egypt_ though a bit cold at winter but it never snows.

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RGU for 5 days

No probs at all.

You are literally a minute away from the harbour! Depending on where your room is in the hotel, you may get a view of it.

If you like seafood then book a table at the Silver Darling - its a restaurant in Fittie that is right at the entrance/exit to the harbour.

I like driving over to the Torry Battery and spending time watching the boats come in/out of the harbour. Its a bit of a hike without a car but is doable.

Mentioned in this post
The Silver Darling
The Silver Darling
696 Reviews
Aberdeen, UK
Torry Battery
Torry Battery
50 Reviews
Aberdeen, UK
Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
28 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RGU for 5 days

That's great. Because I really love ports. There's a port here in Abu Dhabi and it's my favourite place in the city. I also took a cruise last year which was a great chance to see lost of ports.

There's something else, I need to ask about. I just realized that my reservation doesn't include breakfast . So where to do advise me to have it. Also what are your general recommendations for dinner. Since the cost of the trip is quite high, I don't want much splurging. Reasonably priced places but I'd also like to try local food.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RGU for 5 days

Don't do brekkie in the hotel then as its likely to be expensive! If you want to eat out then Archibald Simpsons (beside where you need to get the bus to RGU) do cheap (but decent!) breakfasts. An other option would be to see if there is going to be a fridge in your room - if there is then I'd buy a box of cereal and a pint of milk and have that with the tea/coffee you get as standard in your room (tip - take a couple of plastic bowls with you).

As for dinner, there are a number of pubs round about the Ibis where you can get decent but reasonably priced food in. There is also lots of restaurants in Union Square (5 mins from the Ibis) and you can usually get quite a few deals online to save a few pennies. My favourites in there is the Homemade Burger Company or Zizzi (an Italian).

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
172 Reviews
Aberdeen, UK
Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,975 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RGU for 5 days

Would recommend a visit to His Majesty's Theatre which is a beautiful old building, you can also have a meal there or just call in for a coffee. There is also the Music Hall. Go to www.boxofficeaberdeen.com/index.asp… Where you can also look at the Music Hall and Lemon Tree "what's on".

If you like Antiques there is an Antique Centre on two floors in South College Street in what was the old fish arches. It's in walking distance of your hotel and is open 7 days per week.

Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen